Managed intellectual property portfolio for a variety of clients.
Helping clients protect and grow their most fundamental assets — who they are, what they create and the relationships they build.
Intellectual property (IP) is often a company’s most valuable asset and can be an important strategic tool in the competitive marketplace. Bricker & Eckler provides practical and cost-effective IP protection services. Developing tailored legal solutions and furthering our clients’ objectives, we apply our knowledge of the rapidly changing complexities associated with IP law and our experience in understanding clients’ business needs.
Inventors, entrepreneurs, startups and international companies value our team’s technical background, broad legal and business knowledge, and deep experience in evaluating, protecting, enforcing and licensing IP. Our services are designed to help navigate today’s legal obstacles and safeguard companies while they build a portfolio of intangible resources.
Specifically, we are experienced in negotiating and drafting licenses for patent, trademark, copyright and trade secrets. We frequently draft and counsel clients on confidentiality agreements, independent contractor agreements, non-compete agreements, customer contracts and vendor contracts. Our goal is always intellectual property preservation and enforcement.
Bricker’s IP practice provides services across the full spectrum of IP law, including:
- Advising and supporting all aspects of trademark portfolio and brand management in the U.S. and internationally, including pre-filing clearance, application filing strategy, prosecution, maintenance, monitoring, enforcement and negotiation
- Creating copyright claim registration programs and registering claims of copyrights in websites and other strategically important copyrighted works and protecting these works online, including through strategic use of Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notices
- Creating and participating in invention identification and protection programs and drafting and prosecuting applications for patents in the U.S. and internationally
- Creating and reviewing trade secret strategies and procedures
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating IP provisions in contracts for commercial transactions
- Performing due diligence on IP assets for sale in the marketplace or as part of a business acquisition
- Advising on IP aspects of domain name protection, disputes and concerns
- Reviewing advertising copy and packaging for compliance with federal and state laws, regulations and guidelines, including false advertising and unfair competition
- Litigating claims of infringement of patents, trademarks, trade secrets and trade dress, copyrights, false advertising, unfair competition, cybersquatting, counterfeiting and related claims
- Representing parties in proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Advising on responses to data or privacy breaches, including compliance with reporting requirements
- Creating workable data privacy and security policies
Related Industries & Practices
Our intellectual property attorneys counsel a wide variety of clients in the areas of brand development and trademark portfolio management. We help clients with trademark policing and enforcement, protection and registration strategies, and proper trademark usage. We also conduct and analyze trademark clearance searches to determine availability, conduct domestic and international trademark investigations and watches, prepare and prosecute domestic and foreign trademark applications, and manage all post-registration affidavits, renewals and related activities. Additional services include reviewing advertising materials and packaging, and drafting promotion, marketing and co-branding agreements to ensure proper use.
The value of an invention or idea may be priceless, and the importance of protecting this asset cannot be underestimated. Whether working with a large business, a small start-up or an inventor, we take all the necessary legal measures to safeguard these resources. This process may involve drafting and prosecuting domestic patent applications; providing patentability, validity, infringement and right-to-use analyses and opinions; coordinating the international registration and application for patents; representing clients in patent infringement matters ranging from multimillion-dollar federal disputes to small disputes resolved out of court; and drafting contracts for the transfer or licensing of patents.
Using a multidisciplinary approach, our attorneys guide franchisors and franchisees on a wide spectrum of key issues that affect this unique business model — from initial franchise creation to compliance with federal and state franchise and business opportunity laws to enforcement of terms of the franchise agreement. We have represented local, national and international clients and offer counsel regarding applications, master licensing, negotiation of agreements and contracts, circular and disclosure documents, tax issues and more.
Prepared necessary legal documents associated with the operation of a variety of websites.
Successfully resolved a trademark dispute between a local holding company and an international entertainment firm.
Advised in the formation, IP protection, entity conversion, seed and Series A capital raises, technology commercialization and employment matters for startup technology and software companies.
On behalf of a college, assisted an independent contractor who sold materials in the college's bookstore in defending copyright violation claims.
Somebody registered my trademark! Now what?
Protecting trade secrets under Ohio public records laws