Assisted in the development of a state-wide database for health care information reports, including the creation of policies and agreements and compliance with regulatory requirements (including HIPAA). Also worked to revise protocols for state-to-state relationships, the sharing of data and related data sharing agreements.
Allen R. Killworth
Allen Killworth has a practice focusing on regulatory issues affecting hospitals and health care facilities. He works with health care providers on a variety of survey, certification, and licensure issues, including preparing for and responding to surveys, drafting plans of correction, and appealing adverse determinations. Additionally, Allen assists providers with a wide range of HIPAA privacy and security issues, including full and focused audits, breach investigations, assistance with OCR compliance investigations, policy drafting and implementation, and workforce training.
- Member, Board of Directors, Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys, 2007-present; President, 2014-2015
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Speaker, “Cardiac Cath Surveys,” Ohio Hospital Association, January 22, 2016
- Speaker, "HIPAA and Meaningful Use in Health Care Transactions," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 8, 2015
- Speaker, "HIPAA Hot Topics," HCCA Upper North Central Regional Annual Conference, Columbus, Ohio, May 9, 2014
- Speaker, “HIPAA and Mobile Devices,” Ohio Association Medical Staff Services (OAMSS) Spring Conference, Columbus, Ohio, May 1, 2014
- Speaker, “ODH Maternity Survey and Appeals Process," Ohio Hospital Association Maternal-Child Care Excellence Conference, Powell, Ohio, April 23, 2014
- Speaker, "HIPAA in Health Care Transactions," American Health Lawyers Association, Current HIT Challenges Conference, Baltimore, MD, March 28, 2014
- Speaker, "Review of the HIPAA Omnibus Rule (and a Look at What's Next...)," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, Columbus, Ohio, June 11, 2013
- Speaker, "Update on the HIPAA Omnibus Rule," Health Ethics Trust, Columbus, Ohio, August 6, 2013
- Admitted, State of Ohio; State of Minnesota
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Fellow, Ohio State Bar Foundation, 2004
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2012-2017
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2013-2016
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Health Care with a Band 3 ranking, 2016; "Up and Coming in Health Care," 2014-2015
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2006-2007, 2009, 2011-2012
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A., 1994)
Three notable HIPAA enforcement actions in 2017
OCR releases HIPAA guidance on cloud computing services
OCR announces launch of HIPAA Phase 2 audits
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
Bricker & Eckler attorneys selected for inclusion in the 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers list
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Bricker & Eckler attorneys named Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars
Drafted a unique school district-hospital agreement to provide educational opportunities to high school students.
Assisted a large health system with the system-wide implementation of an electronic health records (EHR) system, ensuring legal and regulatory compliance, HIPAA security and continuity of patient care.
Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.