Successfully represented a school district in federal court against claims of bullying, disability discrimination under ADA and Section 504, and sexual harassment under Title IX.
Anne Marie Sferra
Anne Marie Sferra is a partner in Bricker & Eckler's Litigation group and chair of the Appellate Advocacy group. She has experience in insurance cases, including class actions, ERISA, bad faith claims, and coverage issues. Anne Marie also has experience handling cases involving trade secrets, enforcement of confidentiality agreements, defamation, invasion of privacy, tortious interference with contractual relations, and a variety of business-related claims. She has litigated election and referenda issues throughout Ohio, and also provides mediation and arbitration services.
In 2008, Anne Marie became the first Columbus-area attorney to be certified as an Appellate Law Specialist by the Ohio State Bar Association. She was a member of the legal counsel team to the 200-member Ohio Alliance for Civil Justice to reform Ohio's tort laws under Ohio House Bill 350 and Ohio Senate Bill 120 and is counsel on numerous amicus curiae briefs, primarily in the Ohio Supreme Court, on behalf of the Ohio Manufacturers Association, the Ohio Chamber of Commerce, the Ohio Hospital Association, the American Insurance Association and others.
- President, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, 2014
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Former member, Steering Committee for Franklin County Republican Judicial Salute
- Former member, Capital Area Humane Society Board of Trustees
- Former member, American Heart Association Board of Trustees
- Former member, Women Lawyers of Franklin County Board of Trustees
- Member, TWIG 3 (Children's Hospital)
- Member, Childhood League Assisting Board
- Speaker, "Public Records for Private Universities," Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio, July 2015
- Co-Author, "Puttin' on the Writs," Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys Quarterly Review, Winter 2011
- Author, "Ohio High Court Upholds Law Limiting Tort Damages," Washington Legal Foundation's Legal Backgrounder, February 22, 2008
- Author, "Once Again…Ohio Legislators Approve Comprehensive Tort Reform," Washington Legal Foundation's Legal Backgrounder, May 20, 2005
- Author, "New Ohio Asbestos Reform Law Protects Victims and State Economy," Washington Legal Foundation's Legal Backgrounder, August 6, 2004
- Author, "No Tort Victim, No Tortfeasor, No Tort Reform Law in Ohio," Washington Legal Foundation's Legal Backgrounder, March 3, 2000
- Ohio State Bar Association Certified Specialist – Appellate Law
- Member, American Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association; Columbus Bar Association
- Admitted, State of Ohio; United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio; Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Appellate Practice; Commercial Litigation), 2010-2017
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers 2009-2016; Top 25 Women Columbus Ohio Super Lawyers 2013-2016; Top 50 Women Ohio 2016
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Appellate Practice) 2014
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Litigation: General Commercial with a Band 3 ranking, 2011-2015; Band 4 ranking 2008-2010, 2016
- Ranked, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized, Columbus Business First’s “The Verdict,” 2005
- Recipient, Columbus Jaycees' Ten Outstanding Young Citizens of Greater Columbus Award, 1996
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1985); Member, Ohio State National Moot Court Team; Recipient, Best Oral Argument Award, Sixth Circuit Moot Court Competition
- Bowling Green State University (B.S., 1982)
Ohio Courts of Appeals affirm authority to conduct land surveys for natural gas pipeline project
Caps on noneconomic damages again found to be constitutional; Affordable Care Act approved in reducing economic damages
Insured v. insurer mediation: Practical considerations
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
Bricker & Eckler attorneys selected for inclusion in the 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers list
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Bricker & Eckler attorneys named Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars
Defended of numerous class actions involving insurance issues.
Served as trial counsel in various cases involving computer software agreements.
Represented the State of Ohio, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and its director in a class action lawsuit brought by all Lake Erie lakefront property owners regarding appropriation proceedings for more than 10,000 parcels of land. The question before the court was whether the State’s claim of public trust ownership to the ordinary high water mark (which was rejected by the Ohio Supreme Court) — whether made through general public statements, in specific lease negotiations or by other means — constitutes an unconstitutional taking of private property.
Retained to file an amicus curiae brief on behalf of three organizations in support of the constitutionality of Ohio's noneconomic damage caps applicable to medical negligence cases.
Assisted in closing in excess of $500 million of debt and equity financing for the construction of an Ohio-based 800 MW electric generation plant on behalf of an energy company. This transaction involved dozens of parties including lenders, equity investors, land sellers, railroads, gas pipeline companies, governmental entities, a title insurer and others.