Assisted a large health system with the system-wide implementation of an electronic health records (EHR) system, ensuring legal and regulatory compliance, HIPAA security and continuity of patient care.
Catherine M. Ballard
Catherine Ballard is a partner at the law firm of Bricker & Eckler and vice-chair of its Health Care practice group. She works with clients in the areas of hospital/medical staff integration, medical staff and hospital-employed physician integration, quality assessment and performance improvement, and related peer review matters. She develops medical staff/advanced practice provider governing documents, and she provides advice on Medicare conditions of participation and private accreditation, provider scope of practice, physician recruitment/employment, and general patient care.
Catherine currently serves as the executive director for Bricker’s affiliated consulting company, The Quality Management Consulting Group, Ltd. (QMCG), which provides services in the areas of performance improvement, external peer review, community health needs assessments, and HIPAA compliance.
From 1985 to 1987, she served as a law clerk to Judge John D. Holschuh of the Federal District Court for the Southern District of Ohio and also as an adjunct assistant professor in legal writing at The Ohio State University Mortiz College of Law. Catherine is a regular speaker for the Ohio Hospital Association and American Health Lawyers Association on a variety of health care issues and speaks at national forums on topics such as health care quality management, credentialing and peer review, medical staff governance, fair hearings and ethics.
- Member, Ethics Committee, National Association of Medical Staff Services
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association and Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys
- Past President, Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys
- Board Member, Lower Lights Christian Health Center
- Board Member, Kya's Krusade LLC
- Speaker, "A Second Look At Corrective Action – Understanding Available Options," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 9, 2015
- Speaker, "CMS CoPs: Unified Medical Staffs? Optometrist Appointments? Lots of Options," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 8, 2015
- Author, "What Does it Mean to Be Ethical?" Synergy, March/April 2011
- Speaker, "Telemedicine & Delegated Credentialing: Who is Responsible for What and Why?" Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 8, 2015
- Author, "The Medical Staff Bank Account – Who Is Responsible?" The American Health Lawyer's Association's (AHLA) MedStaff News, March 2015
- Speaker, "Off-Campus Privileges, Off-Kilter Practitioners," presentation for Ohio Association of Medical Staff Services
- Author, "Tips For Developing a Stand-up-in-Court Negligent Credentialing Action Plan," Credentialing & Peer Review, February 2011
- Author, "Why the Word 'Provisional' Can Be More Hindrance than Help, Synergy, March/April 2010
- Author, "Rise in Censured Doctors Challenging Peer Review," Medical Malpractice Law and Strategy, Vol. X, Number 10, August 1993
- Member, Federal, American and Ohio State Bar Associations
- Top 50 Women Ohio Super Lawyers, 2004-2006, 2009-2014
- Top 25 Women Columbus Ohio Super Lawyers, 2010-2015
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (health care law) 1995-2015
- Recognized, ChambersUSA in Health Care Law with a Band 3 ranking, 2013; Band 2 ranking, 2014-2015
- Top 50 Columbus Area Super Lawyers, 2010, 2013-2014
- Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers, 2013
- Ranked AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 1985); Member, Order of the Coif; Member, Ohio State Law Journal
- University of Louisville (B.A., 1975)
Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) preparation: Common sense planning
Ohio hospitals: How to ensure payment for inpatient hospital admissions by an advanced practice nurse or physician assistant
$4.8M paid in largest HIPAA settlement to date
Bricker & Eckler attorneys named Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Local law firm, lawyers ranked in Chambers USA
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Local law firm, lawyers ranked in Chambers USA
Developed a peer review process for physicians employed by hospital-affiliated entities and created documents that permitted the sharing of peer review information between the hospital and the affiliated entity.
Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.