Developed a template for medical staff bylaws for the Ohio Hospital Association and individual medical staff governing documents for hospitals and for systems with more than one hospital to assure compliance with federal, state and private regulations as well as best practices.
Catherine M. Ballard
Catherine Ballard works with clients in the areas of hospital/medical staff integration, medical staff and hospital-employed physician integration, quality assessment and performance improvement, and related peer review matters. She develops medical staff/advanced practice provider governing documents, and she provides advice on Medicare conditions of participation and private accreditation, provider scope of practice, physician recruitment/employment, and general patient care. She also provides mediation and fair hearing officer services.
Catherine currently serves as the executive director for Bricker’s affiliated consulting company, The Quality Management Consulting Group, Ltd. (QMCG), which provides services in the areas of performance improvement, external peer review, community health needs assessments, and HIPAA compliance.
From 1985 to 1987, she served as a law clerk to Judge John D. Holschuh of the Federal District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. Catherine is a regular speaker at national forums where she speaks on a variety of health care issues such as health care quality management, credentialing and peer review, medical staff governance, fair hearings, ethics, and related patient care issues.
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association and Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys
- Member, Ethics Committee, National Association of Medical Staff Services
- Member, Medical Staff Legislation, Regulation, & Accreditation Board for the HC Pro Credentialing Resource Center
- Past President, Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys
- Chair of the Board, Lower Lights Christian Health Center
- Speaker, “The Patient Safety Quality Improvement Act and Ohio’s Peer Review Privilege,” Webinar by Bricker & Eckler, 2016
- Speaker, “Colliding Worlds—Medical Necessity v. Medical Staff Review,” Webinar for National Association of Medical Staff Services, 2016
- Speaker, “How to Prepare & Prevail at a Fair Hearing,” numerous meetings across the country for several years
- Speaker, “Medical Staff Leadership 4 Part Webinar,” annual Webinar by Bricker & Eckler
- Speaker, “The Peer Review Process and Conflicts of Interest,” Alaska Association of Medical Staff Professionals, 2016
- Speaker, “Peer Review Importance and What is Effective,” Kentucky Association of Medical Staff Services, 2016
- Speaker, “Telemedicine—Who, What, Where & Why,” Massachusetts Association of Medical Staff Services, 2016
- Speaker, “Quality Oversight of Advanced Practice Providers,” Michigan Association of Medical Staff Services, 2016
- Speaker, “Recognizing the Importance of and Distinguishing Between Informal Remediation & Corrective Action,” Nebraska Association of Medical Staff Services, 2016
- Speaker, “What Does It Mean To Be Ethical?” National Association of Medical Staff Service, 2016
- Speaker, “Negligent Credentialing,” Ohio Association of Medical Staff Services, 2016
- Speaker, "A Second Look At Corrective Action – Understanding Available Options," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, 2015
- Speaker, "CMS CoPs: Unified Medical Staffs? Optometrist Appointments? Lots of Options," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, 2015
- Speaker, “The National Practitioner Data Bank and Its Guidebook,” Arizona Association of Medical Staff Services, 2015
- Speaker, “Dueling Interests: Peer Review and the Hospital-Employed Physician,” National Association of Medical Staff Services, 2014
- Speaker, “Creating a Peer Review Process for the Employed Physician,” Ohio Hospital Association, 2013
- Speaker, “Hospital Triaging of Physician Issues for Employed or Contracted Physician," Webinar for The Doctors Company, 2013
- Author, "The Medical Staff Bank Account – Who Is Responsible?" The American Health Lawyer's Association's (AHLA) MedStaff News, 2015
- Author, "What Does it Mean to Be Ethical?" Synergy, 2011
- Author, "Tips For Developing a Stand-up-in-Court Negligent Credentialing Action Plan," Credentialing & Peer Review, 2011
- Member, Federal, American and Ohio State Bar Associations
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 1995–2017
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2004–2017
- Listed, Top 25 Women Columbus, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2010–2016
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Health Care with a Band 2 ranking, 2014–2016
- Listed, Top 50 Women, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2004–2006, 2009–2014
- Listed, Top 50 Columbus, Super Lawyers, 2010, 2013–2014
- Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 1985); Member, Order of the Coif; Member, Ohio State Law Journal
- University of Louisville (B.A., 1975)
Marijuana may be legal, but the advice, for now, is not
Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) preparation: Common sense planning
Ballard’s "contingency planning" article featured in Credentialing Resource Center Journal
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
Developed a peer review process for physicians employed by hospital-affiliated entities and created documents that permitted the sharing of peer review information between the hospital and the affiliated entity.
Represented hospitals in suits by practitioners contesting termination of appointment/privileges and prevailed on motions for summary judgment whereby the court granted immunity from damages under HCQIA to all defendants.