Represented a client before the Federal and Ohio Elections Commissions on a variety of election and campaign finance matters.
Christiane W. Schmenk
Chris Schmenk has vast public sector experience. From economic development issues, public improvement projects, public-private partnerships and financing issues, she serves as general counsel and special counsel to community improvement corporations, port authorities, counties, municipal corporations and other political subdivisions. Likewise, she has been appointed outside counsel to business clients regarding Ohio’s economic development laws, programs and resources, including federal, state and local loan and grant programs, the use of tax increment financing, and the creation and operation of special improvement districts, joint economic development districts, enterprise zone tax exemptions and community reinvestment areas.
Chris most recently served as director of the Ohio Development Services Agency. In this position she restructured the department after the launch of JobsOhio and was a member of Governor Kasich's cabinet. Before becoming director, she was chief legal counsel for the department and assisted in the formation and launch of JobsOhio. From 2008 to 2011, she was the elected mayor of Marysville, Ohio.
Chris’s additional experience includes her position as in-house legal counsel for Wendy's International and as Vice President for External Affairs for The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company. While at Scotts, she worked on complex legal matters including mergers and acquisitions, local and state permitting, governmental licensing and labeling, environmental health and safety issues, and employment matters. She also headed Scotts’ Government Affairs team.
- Vice Chair, Foundation for Appalachian Ohio Board of Trustees
- Board Member, Women’s Small Business Accelerator, Inc., 2013-present
- Member, Ohio Northern University Board of Trustees, 2012-present
- Member, The Hope Center Marysville Board of Trustees, 2012-present
- President, Union County Chamber of Commerce, 2004, 2006
- Member, Memorial Hospital of Union County Board of Trustees, 2005-2007
- Member, Marysville Public Library Board of Trustees, 1995-2002
- Ranked, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Named, Ohio Republican Woman of the Year, 2012
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1984)
- Ohio Northern University (B.A., 1981)
Five simple steps to ensure state award compliance
AG report shows benefit of incentive compliance efforts
Ohio’s mid-biennium review budget bill released
Ballot issues as economic investment tools
Schmenk and Lestini’s economic and community development briefing featured in Kenton, Ohio, news
Shale development continues to make positive impact on Ohio economy
Economic impact of shale development in Ohio on the rise