Served as lead counsel to an Ohio-based health network in developing a unique physician-led management services organization (MSO) providing day-to-day operation and management of multiple breast health centers. This unique MSO also developed a clinically integrated incentive strategy within the network of primary care and OB-GYN physicians to implement a physician-designed evidence-based patient protocol to enhance breast health, early detection and prevention in the health network's market area.
Claire Turcotte is a partner in Bricker & Eckler’s Health Care group. She focuses her practice on structuring, drafting and negotiating all types of health care provider affiliation, alignment and integration contracts, including affiliations, acquisitions, mergers, accountable care organizations (ACOs), clinically integrated networks (CINs), service line comanagement agreements, joint ventures, management services organizations (MSOs), call coverage, physician recruitment, physician employment agreements and compensation arrangements, quality performance and pay for performance arrangements, and other hospital-physician arrangements.
Claire also counsels hospitals and health care providers on the Stark law, anti-kickback statute, civil monetary penalties law and other fraud and abuse matters. Additionally, she works with clients on Medicare and Medicaid regulatory issues, including change of ownership, enrollment, physician supervision, provider-based status and hospital space sharing arrangements.
Claire’s practice also focuses on corporate structuring and maintenance, including formation and choice of entity, governance structure, nonprofit and tax exempt status issues, conflicts of interest, and other taxation and governance issues.
Claire prepares and negotiates information technology (IT) and other technology contracts including electronic health records (EHR) system agreements and hospital EHR donation arrangements and counsels clients regarding compliance with Meaningful Use Incentive and PQRS programs, as well as HIPAA, EHR implementation and other health information matters.
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association Women's Leadership Council; Former Vice Chair, American Health Lawyers Association Hospital and Health Systems Practice Group
- Member, Accountable Care Organization Accreditation Program Advisory Committee
- Board Member, Society of Ohio Hospital Attorneys
- Member, Health Care Financial Management Association, Southwest Ohio Chapter
- Former Member, Terrace Park Kindervelt #76 (to benefit Cincinnati Children's Hospital)
- Former Board Member and Chair, the Grants Committee, The Greater Portland Chapter of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- Speaker, “Kiss My Glass...Ceiling: How Professional Relationships Help Women Break Through”, Women’s Leadership Council Breakfast Panel, AHLA Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute, February 9, 2016
- Speaker, “Provider-based Status and Space Sharing,” Top 10 Hot Topics in Health Care Law for 2016, January 21, January 27 and January 28, 2016
- Speaker, “Stark Law Compliance: Recent Changes and Cases,” Top 10 Hot Topics in Health Care Law for 2016, January 21, January 27 and January 28, 2016
- Coordinator, Health Care Law CLE presented by the Cincinnati Bar Association Health Care Law Committee, December 10, 2015
- Speaker, “Physician Compensation: Navigating Change from Volume to Value in a Compliant Way,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 8-10, 2015
- Speaker, "Special Valuation Problems in Health Care Transactions: Tips from the Trenches," AHLA Fair Market Value Affinity Group, April 17, 2015
- Speaker, “A Few Good Men: Perspectives from Men about Women in Law,” AHLA Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute, February 3, 2015
- Speaker, “ACOs, CINs and other Hot Hospital-Physician Alignment Trends,” Top 10 Hot Topics in Health Care Law for 2015, January 20, January 22 and January 28, 2015
- Speaker, “Meaningful Use – Where Are We Now? Audits and Other Hot Topics,” Top 10 Hot Topics in Health Care Law for 2015, January 20, January 22 and January 28, 2015
- Speaker, "Comments on ACO Proposed Rule," American Bar Association, December 30, 2014
- Speaker, “Clinically Integrated Networks: Business and Legal Considerations,” SOHA Fall Conference, September 11, 2014
- Speaker, "How to Navigate Physician Contracting in Murky Waters: Lessons Learned from the Tuomey Healthcare System Case," Bricker & Eckler webinar, September 11, 2014
- Speaker, “Compensating Employed Physicians in an Evolving Health Care Environment,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 10, 2014
- Speaker, "Ohio Hospital Association Update," AHLA Annual Meeting, June 2014
- Speaker, AHLA Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute, February 5, 2014
- Speaker, “Physician Alignment in a Post-Health Reform World,” Bricker & Eckler’s Top 10 Hot Topics in Health Care Law for 2014, January 28, January 30 and February 4, 2014
- Speaker, “Meaningful Use Audits,” Bricker & Eckler’s Top 10 Hot Topics in Health Care Law for 2014, January 28, January 30 and February 4, 2014
- Member, American Bar Association (Health Law Section); Cincinnati Bar Association (Health Care Law Committee)
- Admitted, State of Ohio; District of Columbia; State of New York; State of Oregon; State of Pennsylvania
- Cincinnati Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2017
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2009-2017
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Health Care with a Band 3 ranking, 2013-2016
- Cincinnati Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2014
- University of California, Los Angeles (J.D., 1992)
- Stanford University (A.B., 1986)
Proposed Rule Implementing Section 603 of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 Dashes Hospitals’ Hopes
CMS proposes to implement Balanced Budget Act's site-neutral payments for new off-campus provider-based departments
Does your compliance function measure up? The OIG’s revised criteria for permissive exclusion
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
Bricker & Eckler opens office in downtown Cincinnati
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.