Successfully assisted Oregon Clean Energy LLC in the acquisition of a certificate from the Ohio Power Siting Board in May 2013 to begin construction on the 799-megawatt Oregon Clean Energy Center, a natural gas-fired combined-cycle generating facility located in Oregon, Ohio. Our firm continues to provide significant tax, real estate and construction counsel on the project. Additionally, we are representing the project before the OPSB to amend its certificate to reflect changes in facility design.
David K. Conrad
Dave Conrad's practice includes commercial real estate law/real estate and asset-based commercial lending and workout, emphasizing representation of financial institutions and developers in connection with commercial real estate loans, including hotels, office buildings, apartments, nursing homes, condominiums, and shopping centers. He represents construction and permanent mortgage lenders in negotiation and documentation of commercial loans (new and restructured). Dave's practice also includes general real estate matters, workout of troubled loans, negotiating and drafting of leases, acquisition and sales contracts, and lender liability litigation, with additional experience in the purchase and sale of loans and loan servicing, including loan participation agreements. He provides creative solutions to real estate matters throughout Ohio, the Midwest, and other parts of the country.
- Member, Counselors of Real Estate
- Frequent guest lecturer, the OSU Moritz College of Law; Columbus, Ohio (Construction Financing)
- Speaker, "Legal Update: Six Topics in Six Minutes," the National Association of Industrial Office & Properties (Central Ohio) Six Pack Annual Presentation
- Speaker, "Commercial Real Estate Transaction -- Negotiating Letters of Intent and Purchase Contracts," Real Property Institute, February 12, 2012
- Speaker, "Commercial Real Estate Transaction -- Financing," Real Property Institute, February 2, 2012
- Speaker, "Commercial Real Estate Transaction -- General Due Diligence," Real Property Institute, February 2, 2012
- Speaker, "Lending Issues Affecting Contractors," CFMA Panel Discussion, November 15, 2011
- Speaker, "NetJets Case Study," OSU Law School, February 9 and November 15, 2011
- Speaker, "Update on Title Insurance Issues," NAIOP Six Pack, March 6, 2011
- Speaker, "Update on Current Central Ohio Mortgage Lending Trends," Real Property Institute, February 1, 2011
- Speaker, "Current Commercial Mortgage Lending Trends in Central Ohio," Real Property Institute, Columbus Bar Association, February 5, 2009 and February 5, 2010
- "Top Ten Bankruptcy Terms," the Bricker & Eckler LLP Central Ohio Lenders Seminar, February 12, 2009
- Speaker, "Borrower's Perspective on Participations and Syndications," the Bricker & Eckler LLP Central Ohio Lenders Seminar, May 27, 2009
- Speaker, "Top Ten Issues To Watch For When Using Pre-Printed Form Loan Documents," the Bricker & Eckler LLP Central Ohio Lenders Seminar, October 20, 2009
- Speaker, "Loan Workouts: What to Do When a Borrower Defaults," the Bricker & Eckler LLP Central Ohio Lenders Seminar, September 2008
- Speaker, "2006 Form Title Insurance Policy", the National Association of Industrial & Office Properties (Central Ohio), April, 2007
- Speaker, "Commercial Real Estate Law Update," the Bricker & Eckler LLP Central Ohio Lenders Seminar, February 22, 2007
- Speaker, "Commercial Real Estate Financing in Ohio," Lorman Seminar; Columbus, Ohio, October 12, 2005
- Speaker, "Financing Alternative: 'TIC' Sale as it Affects Owner and Lender," the National Association of Industrial & Office Properties (Central Ohio) September 8, 2004
- Speaker, "Mezzanine Financing," Real Property Institute, Columbus Bar Association, February 7, 2003
- Speaker, "Commercial Lending Requirements and Loan Documentation In Ohio – Overview of Documentation And Closing Commercial Real Estate Loans and Cognovit Notes," Lorman Seminar; Columbus, Ohio, October 11, 2001
- Speaker, "Keys to Success in a Real Estate Transaction in Ohio," National Business Institute Seminar; Columbus, Ohio, January 5, 2000 -
- Speaker, "Ohio Commercial Real Estate Issues – Negotiation of Selected Provisions of Commercial Loan Documents," Lorman Seminar; Columbus, Ohio, November 9, 1995
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association; Columbus Bar Association
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Real Estate Law), 1995–2017
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Real Estate: Business; Banking; Business/Corporate), 2004–2017
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Real Estate with a Band 2 ranking, 2008–2016
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Real Estate Law), 2012
- Ranked, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Kenyon College (A.B., summa cum laude, 1977); Phi Beta Kappa
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1980); Order of the Coif; Ohio State Law Journal; Award for Academic Excellence
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
Bricker & Eckler attorneys selected for inclusion in the 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers list
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Represented a national bank in connection with the $22+ million refinance of an island located off the coast of Florida.
Represented a national bank in connection with two student housing projects to be developed near The Ohio State University. The value of the two projects was approximately $17 million.
Represented a national bank in connection with the $8+ million refinance of a hotel in Savannah, Georgia.
Provided comprehensive legal counsel to Clean Energy Future regarding the construction and operation of an 800 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle power plant in northeast Ohio (Lordstown, Mahoning County, Ohio). We successfully represented the client through all phases of the Ohio Power Siting Board, including public hearings, OPSB staff investigations and an adjudicatory hearing, which resulted in the issuance of a certificate from the OPSB. In addition to the regulatory work, the firm served as Ohio counsel responsible for assisting with a closing in excess of $890 million of debt and equity financing for the construction of the project. This transaction involved extensive counsel on real estate, environmental and tax issues, including: real estate due diligence; title curative work; property acquisition and easement negotiations; document preparation; and work with lenders, equity investors, oil and gas companies, and the title insurer on title commitment and title insurance policy matters. Bricker continues to serve as Ohio counsel on the project, providing advice on all state regulatory, environmental and real estate matters.
Assisted in closing in excess of $500 million of debt and equity financing for the construction of an Ohio-based 800 MW electric generation plant on behalf of an energy company. This transaction involved dozens of parties including lenders, equity investors, land sellers, railroads, gas pipeline companies, governmental entities, a title insurer and others.