Obtained a favorable ruling from the Supreme Court of Ohio in a case involving a challenge by a non-teaching school employee who claimed the Board of Education violated the Open Meetings Act by deliberating about the decision to terminate his employment in executive session. The Court rejected the appellant’s argument that an employee’s “Loudermill” hearing rights could serve as a basis to demand that deliberations about his employment occur in public. This decision sets favorable precedent for districts and public bodies across the State of Ohio.
David J. Lampe
David Lampe is a partner in Bricker & Eckler's Education group who practices education, and labor and employment law. His practice emphasizes the representation of public school districts and educational service centers on matters involving education law; public sector labor law; collective bargaining; grievance arbitration; unfair labor practice charges; employment law; harassment, discrimination and misconduct investigations; policy development; student matters; litigation; and workers' compensation.
David has both trained administrators and presented at education law forums across Ohio on a wide assortment of matters affecting public schools, such as employee evaluation, discipline and nonrenewal; collective bargaining; harassment, discrimination and misconduct investigations; Public Records Act; Open Meetings Act; First Amendment and cyber law issues; special education; student residency, tuition, attendance and custody; student homelessness; hazing and bullying; student privacy laws; transportation; media relations; board ethics; and workers compensation.
David has also served as counsel for school boards and public agencies before the State Employment Relations Board, Office of Civil Rights, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Ohio Civil Rights Commission, Industrial Commission of Ohio, Board of Revisions, federal and state court, and numerous arbitrators. He has also represented private sector clients before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Guest Lecturer, Masters in Education Program, Xavier University
- Member, Cincinnati Public School’s Adopt-A-Class Program
- Member, Ohio Counsel of School Board Attorneys; National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys
- Author, "Is Worker Misclassification on Your Radar? If It's Not, Maybe It Should Be," Cities & Villages, 2014
- Speaker, Mayors Association of Ohio Annual Conference, 2014
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association; Northern Kentucky Bar Association
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2000; State of Kentucky, 2001; U.S. District Court, S.D. Ohio, 2001
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Education Law), 2017
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition in Schools & Education, 2009 and 2012-2013
- The Ohio State University (J.D., 2000)
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom (Comparative Law Program,1998)
- University of Cincinnati (B.B.A., finance, 1997)
When: Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 7:15 AM to 4:45 PM
Where: OCLC - Online Computer Library Center Conference Center
Who: Christopher J. Bondra, Desmond J. Cullimore, P.E., BCEE, Mark Evans, P.E., Benjamin B. Hyden, Michael Katz, Tarik M. Kershah, David J. Lampe, Sam Lewis, Christopher L. McCloskey, Jack Rosati, Jr., Doug Shevelow, P.E., Matthew L. Stout
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
Bricker & Eckler opens office in downtown Cincinnati
Bricker & Eckler opens office in downtown Dayton’s Water Street District
Fifty-One Bricker & Eckler Attorneys Named Ohio Super Lawyers
David Lampe joins local law firm