Provided corporate regulatory advice in connection with the formation of a statewide network of six regional health care systems, which was one of the largest health care joint ventures in our country’s history.
Edward A. Matto
A partner in Bricker & Eckler's Health Care group, Ed Matto's practice focuses on counseling and litigation in the antitrust and related competition law areas. His experience includes Hart-Scott-Rodino filings, dealing with federal and state antitrust enforcement agencies relating to mergers and acquisitions, advising clients on how to avoid antitrust issues, and defending clients in governmental antitrust investigations and litigation. He is also experienced in providing advice on protection of intellectual property rights and trade secrets, and in handling trademark, trade dress and patent infringement litigation.
Ed was formerly chief of the Antitrust Section of the Ohio Attorney General's Office and was litigation counsel at Borden, Inc., with an emphasis on antitrust and complex litigation. Additionally, he served for many years as Adjunct Professor of Antitrust Law at Capital University School of Law.
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys
- Trustee, Abbotshire Village Homeowners Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Board Member, Contemporary American Theatre Company; Columbus Light Opera
- Trustee, Jefferson Meadows Homeowners Association
- Author, "A Manager's Guide to the Antitrust Laws," published in the United States and Japan
- Co-author, "Legal Challenges and Concerns with Clinical Integrations (Structuring Clinically Integrated Networks in Compliance with the Antitrust Laws)," AHLA Annual Meeting, June 2013
- Author, "FTC Files Antitrust Challenge to Hospital System's Acquisition of Primary Care Physician Group Practice," April 2013
- Author, "Proposed Gainsharing Program Passes Federal Antitrust Review," February 2013
- Speaker, "Health Care Consolidation Trends vs. Antitrust Regulatory Barriers," Bricker & Eckler's Top Ten Trends and Issues in Health Care for 2013, Columbus, West Chester, and Cleveland, January 2013
- Speaker, "Intersection of Intellectual Property Rights and Antitrust Laws," the Ohio State Bar Association (CLE offered), June 1 & 8, 2011
- Speaker, "Impact of Revised Horizontal Merger Guidelines (FTC/DOJ), webinar with ExecSense, November 16, 2010
- Author, "2010 Horizontal Merger Guidelines: How the Guidelines Will Change the FTC/DOJ Analysis of U.S. Mergers," Terralex Newsletter, November 2010
- Member, American Bar Association (Antitrust, Intellectual Property and Health Law Sections; Ohio State Bar Association (Council of the Antitrust Section); Columbus Bar Association; Florida Bar Association (Health Care Section)
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (antitrust law, antitrust litigation), 2005-2015
- Ranked, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.); Associate Editor, Ohio State Law Journal; Member, Phi Delta Phi
- The Ohio State University (B.A.)
Appellate Court upholds divestiture after health care system acquires large physician group
Antitrust lessons from recent FTC successes in challenging hospital acquisitions in Ohio and Idaho
FTC files antitrust challenge to hospital system's acquisition of primary care physician group practice
U.S. Supreme Court rules for FTC in hospital merger case
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Bricker & Eckler Attorneys Named to National "Best Lawyers" List
Ed Matto Joins Bricker & Eckler As Partner
Represented a nonprofit community hospital in becoming affiliated with a large hospital system, obtaining all regulatory approvals.
Obtained a summary judgment on behalf of a Canadian manufacturer in an alleged breach of requirements agreement.
Represented a county hospital that became affiliated with a large health care system, obtaining all regulatory approvals, overseeing self-disclosure of potential Stark issues and assisting with the payoff of outstanding bonds.