Represented a natural gas utility in the negotiation and acquisition of a rural natural gas pipeline system in eastern Ohio. The transaction involved the completion of due diligence and negotiation of a complicated asset purchase agreement and corresponding escrow agreement.
Glenn S. Krassen
Glenn Krassen is partner in charge of Bricker & Eckler's Cleveland office. He co-chairs the firm's Shale, Oil and Gas group, and has more than 30 years of broad oil, and gas and energy law experience.
Glenn practices in the areas of energy, public utilities, complex energy finance, corporate and real estate, in addition to oil and gas. He represents the Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council, the largest public retail energy aggregation in the country, comprised of about 200 Ohio counties, cities and townships, as well as other large public and private energy aggregation groups. He has served as bond and special energy counsel for the issuance of $4 billion of municipal electricity and natural gas prepayment bonds nationwide.
Glenn regularly represents public and private entities nationally on complex energy finance issues and electric and gas competitive procurement and contracting issues; represents renewable energy developers and end-users in solar, wind and biomass projects; and regularly appears in utility regulatory matters before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. He has served as outside general counsel and local Ohio counsel for oil and gas and other energy companies and represents them in acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, partnerships and other business transactions. He also represents municipalities, public agencies, public and private landowners, large landowner groups, and others on oil and gas leasing, municipal utility, electricity, gas, steam and chilled water, sewer and renewable energy issues.
- Adjunct Professor, Oil and Gas Law, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Member, Board of Trustees, Eliza Jennings Network, Cleveland, Ohio
- Member, Board of Trustees and former Vice President, HELP Foundation, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio
- Member, Ohio Oil and Gas Association
- Former President, Shaker Heights Public Library Board of Trustees
- Speaker, “Current Market Development in Ohio and Related Accounting Issues,” The Ohio Society of CPAs Oil & Gas Conference, August 2014
- Speaker, “Royalty Reservations vs. Mineral Reservations,” Ohio State Bar Association CLE, August 2013
- Speaker, “Current Market Developments in Ohio and Related Accounting Issues,” The Ohio Society of CPAs 2013 Oil & Gas Conference, August 2013
- Author, "Municipal Electric Aggregation: A Valuable Tool to Enhance Residential and Small Customer Access to Retail Markets"; "Capturing the Power of Electric Restructuring," American Bar Association, July 2009
- Member, American Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association; (former chairman of the Natural Resources Committee; current member of the Public Utilities Committee); Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Energy Law; Natural Resources Law; Oil and Gas Law), 2003-2016
- Listed Best Lawyers in Cleveland, (energy law; natural resources law; oil and gas law), 2009-2015
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Natural Resources & Environment with a Band 4 ranking, 2011-2013; Band 3 ranking, 2014-2016
- Ranked, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2004 - 2009
- The Ohio State University (J.D., 1980)
- The George Washington University (B.A. with distinction, 1977); Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. Supreme Court decision may undercut recent PUCO decisions approving ratepayer-subsidized power purchase agreements for Ohio utilities
The Top Ten Considerations in Advising Clients on Oil and Gas Leases
Governor Kasich Signs Far-Reaching Energy Bill Into Law
Utica and Marcellus shale development for Ohio schools
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Local law firm, lawyers ranked in Chambers USA
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Provided representation to a bank trustee controlling nearly 4,000 acres of mineral rights in eastern Ohio. Beginning with the negotiation of an above-market-value oil and gas lease, which resulted in an initial payment to the trust of tens of millions of dollars, we provided related legal services, including the completion of title curative work, lease maintenance activities and the negotiation of ancillary agreements.
Assisted a college with various aspects of environmental regulation, including advanced energy and energy efficiency developments, power purchase agreements and leasing arrangements, in order to help them take full advantage of various financing opportunities.
Formed and worked with the Southeastern Ohio Landowners Association (SEOLA) to combine the acreage of landowners in five southeastern counties in order to negotiate oil and gas leases with multiple energy companies. SEOLA blossomed into the longest-lasting and most successful landowners group in Ohio with a dozen deals closed with eight different oil and gas companies, involving approximately 70,000 acres and more than $300 million in upfront, per-acre bonus payments to SEOLA landowners.
Negotiated build-to-suit leases, related easements, construction contracts and energy contracts on behalf of manufacturing facilities, factory distribution centers and warehouses, including one of the state's largest employers.
Represented the largest governmental retail energy aggregator in the country in a utility regulatory litigation matter valued at over $1 billion opposing an energy company's electric security plan, which involved a novel regulatory proposal permitting affiliate power purchase agreements.