James G. Petrie
Jim Petrie is a partner and chair of Bricker & Eckler's Employment & Labor group and member of the Health Care group with a practice emphasis in employment-related disputes or litigation, including allegations of race, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion and/or political discrimination or harassment, intentional torts, intentional infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract or implied/quasi-contract under federal and state law, wrongful termination in violation of public policy, and alleged violations of ERISA.
Jim advises clients on labor and employment issues, including issues arising under ADA, ADEA, OWBPA, FMLA, FLSA, Title VII, Fair Credit Reporting Act, USERRA, NLRA, Executive Order No. 11246 and state employment laws. He is experienced in drafting employment agreements, separation agreements, independent contractor agreements, releases, non-compete/non-solicitation agreements, affirmative action plans, and employee handbooks, policies and procedures. He practices in federal and state courts and courts of appeals and before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and the State Personnel Board of Review.
His practice also includes mediating and negotiating settlements of claims against employers, advising clients on day-to-day employment issues; providing employment law training to corporations; and conducting presentations and authoring articles regarding new developments in employment law. Jim is former chairman of the firm's recruiting committee.
- Board Member, Greater Columbus Habitat for Humanity
- Former Board Chairman, Mohun Health Care Center
- Frequent lecturer on social media legal issues and other employment law topics
- Member, Columbus and Ohio State Bar Associations
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2005-2015; Top 50 Columbus 2015; Ohio Rising Stars Edition, 2005-2006
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (employment management law, labor & employment litigation) 2012-2015; Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Employment Law (2015)
- Recognized by ChambersUSA in Labor & Employment Law with a Band 4 ranking, 2013; Band 3 ranking, 2014-2015
- 2013 Client Choice Award from the International Law Office and Lexology
- The Ohio State University (J.D., 1992)
- Miami University (B.A. with honors, 1988); Phi Beta Kappa
EEOC v. Abercrombie & Fitch: Adverse employment action based on suspicion of a need for a religious accommodation may violate Title VII
President to “modernize” overtime protections under the FLSA
Could This Be You?
Administering FMLA Leave Request after Section 3 of DOMA Declared Unconstitutional
Health Care Providers Take Note: Your Contract With An HMO May Require Affirmative Action Compliance, Even If It Doesn’t Say So
Bricker & Eckler Attorneys Named Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars
Best Lawyers Recognizes Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Local law firm, lawyers ranked in Chambers USA
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys