James G. Petrie
Jim Petrie is a partner and chair of Bricker & Eckler's Employment & Labor group and member of the Health Care group with a practice emphasizing employment-related disputes and litigation, including allegations of race, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion and/or political discrimination or harassment, intentional torts, intentional infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract or implied/quasi-contract under federal and state law, wrongful termination in violation of public policy, and alleged violations of ERISA.
Jim advises clients on labor and employment issues, including issues arising under ADA, ADEA, OWBPA, FMLA, FLSA, Title VII, Fair Credit Reporting Act, USERRA, NLRA, Executive Order No. 11246 and state employment laws. He is experienced in drafting employment agreements, separation agreements, independent contractor agreements, releases, non-compete/non-solicitation agreements, affirmative action plans, and employee handbooks, policies and procedures. He practices in federal and state courts and courts of appeals and before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and the State Personnel Board of Review.
His practice also includes mediating and negotiating settlements of claims against employers, advising clients on day-to-day employment issues; providing employment law training to corporations; and conducting presentations and authoring articles regarding new developments in employment law. Jim is former chairman of the firm's recruiting committee.
- Member, Ohio Management Lawyers Association
- Board Member, Greater Columbus Habitat for Humanity
- Former Board Chairman, Mohun Health Care Center
- Frequent lecturer on social media legal issues and other employment law topics
- Member, Columbus Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Employment Law - Individuals; Employment Law - Management; Labor Law - Management; Litigation - Labor and Employment), 2012-2016
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Employment & Labor), 2009-2016
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers In America (Employment Law - Individuals), 2015
- Listed, Top 50 Columbus, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2015
- Recipient, Client Choice Award, The International Law Office and Lexology, 2013
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Employment & Labor), 2005-2006
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1992)
- Miami University (B.A. with honors, 1988); Phi Beta Kappa
Employer implications arising from the Supreme Court’s decision in Obergefell v. Hodges
EEOC v. Abercrombie & Fitch: Adverse employment action based on suspicion of a need for a religious accommodation may violate Title VII
President to “modernize” overtime protections under the FLSA
Bricker & Eckler attorneys selected for inclusion in the 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers list
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Bricker & Eckler attorneys named Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars