Assisted a large health system with implementation of an electronic health records (EHR) system, ensuring legal and regulatory compliance, HIPAA security and continuity of patient care.
Jennifer Nelson Carney
Jennifer M. Nelson Carney is a partner at Bricker & Eckler LLP. Her practice focuses on assisting health care clients in navigating all aspects of facility operations, including Medicare and Medicaid work (to include provider enrollment, COPs and RAC appeals); patient care and medical staff policies and procedures; ODH and accrediting body survey and certification issues; and EHR implementation, optimization, and Meaningful Use, as well as a variety of federal and state regulatory issues.
- Trustee, Clintonville Beechwold Community Resources Center Board
- Member, Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association and Vice Chair, Medical Staff Credentialing Peer Review Practice Group
- Member, Ohio State University Mortar Board Alumni Council
- Grant Reader, The Women's Fund of Central Ohio
- Marathoner in Training Program Alumni
- Former Trustee, Campus Partners for Urban Redevelopment
- Former Chair, “Beanie” Drake Student Leader Endowment Fund Board
- "Not Your Mother’s Medical Record…How EHRs are Redefining the LMR," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 9, 2015
- "A Kinder, Gentler RAC?" Bricker & Eckler Health Care Top Ten Issues, January 28, 2014
- "HIPAA Phase 2 Audits are coming," Bricker & Eckler Health Care Top Ten Issues, January 28, 2014
- "Creating a Peer Review Process for the Employed Physician" Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 11, 2013
- "The Physician Employee: Who Has Jurisdiction?" Synergy, March/April 2013
- "Contracting 101" Synergy, July/August 2012
- "Enrollment, Revalidation, and Medicare — Oh My!" Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 12, 2012
- "Advanced Issues in Health Information," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 12, 2012
- "Upfront Credentialing: Policies & Practices," Ohio Hospital Association's "Medical Staff Leadership Series" webinar, February 21, 2012
- "Thank You for Sharing...Or Not," Synergy, January/February 2012
- "Patient Rights: CMS, TJC, HIPAA and Beyond," Ohio Hospital Association, October 2011
"PSO? PSES? PSWP? LOL! Understanding the Alphabet Soup of Patient Safety Organizations," Columbus Bar Association, April 2011
"Physician Recruitment - Legal Updates You Should Know," Ohio Network of Physician Recruiters, March 2011
- Ohio State Bar Foundation Fellow 2009
- Member, Columbus Bar Association Health Care Law Committee
- Member, Columbus Bar Association Bar Admissions Committee
- 2014 Forty Under 40 honoree, Columbus Business First
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2009-2013
- The Ohio State University (J.D., 2004); Business Editor, Ohio State Law Journal; Dean’s Merit Award for Excellence; Academic Promise Award; Arthur and Cora Evans Award
- The Ohio State University (B.A. and B.S. with distinction, 1998); Ohio State University Outstanding Senior Award; Undergraduate Student Government Lifetime Achievement Award
CMS releases Stage 3 Meaningful Use proposed rule
CMS gives physicians an extra three weeks to attest to meaningful use
CMS to consider shortening meaningful use reporting period for 2015
CMS makes big changes to RAC program
Forty Under 40 list includes two Bricker partners
Bricker & Eckler Elects Four New Partners
Fifty-One Bricker & Eckler Attorneys Named Ohio Super Lawyers
Assisted hospitals with responding to meaningful use audits by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) on its electronic health record incentive payments, which required analyzing compliance with regulatory requirements for receiving such payments.
Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.
Jenny’s favorite activity is spending time with her husband and two daughters.
Jenny enjoys distance running and has participated in 15+ half and full marathons.
Jenny has been on the Board of Directors of the Clintonville-Beechwold Community Resources Center for five years and loves working with the staff and clients of this wonderful community asset.