Assisted an elite college in the formation of a “green” cemetery nonprofit corporation to be used primarily by alumni, former faculty and staff. Rendered federal tax opinions regarding unrelated business income and tax exemption issues.
Jerry O. Allen
Jerry Allen is a partner in Bricker & Eckler's Business, Tax & Estates group and is chair of the Nonprofit Organizations group. He practices in the areas of taxation, federal tax controversy, federal tax compliance, nonprofit health care law, religious organizations, colleges and universities, nonprofit corporate law and state real property tax matters.
- Attorney, Office of Chief Counsel, Internal Revenue Service National Office, Washington D.C.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Columbus College of Art & Design
- Member, Board of Directors, Experience Columbus
- Member, Board of Directors, Jeanne B. McCoy Community Center for the Arts
- Past Member, Board of Trustees, Columbus Museum of Art
- Past President, Hospice, Riverside and Grant Hospitals
- Past Vice Chairman, Greater Columbus Arts Council
- Past Trustee, The Columbus Zoo
- Past President, The King Arts Complex
- Author, "Helping Physicians Obtain Medical Malpractice Insurance Furthers Charitable Purposes, IRS Rules," Exempt Organization Tax Review, and Tax Notes Today
- Author, "Solving The Low Income Tax Credit Housing Partnership Dilemma," Exempt Organization Tax Review, and Tax Notes Today
- Author, "Look Before You Leap - The Tax Consequences of Golden Parachute Payments," International Legal Strategy
- Author, "Residency of Asset Protection Trusts: IRS Issues New Regulations," Offshore Finance USA
- Author, "Taxation of Investment Income From Offshore Trusts and Other Foreign Entities," Offshore Finance USA
- Past Co-Chair, American Bar Association Health Law Section, Issues Affecting Tax-Exempt Organizations Subcommittee
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (tax law) 2005-2015; Columbus Lawyer of the Year in Litigation & Controversy - Tax, 2014
- Ranked, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell™
- Recipient, 2013 David D. White Award from the Capital University Law School for significant contributions to the African American community
- Recipient, Columbus Bar Association, Community Service Award
- Capital University School of Law (J.D., cum laude), Law Review; Order of the Curia
- New York University (LLM Taxation)
- Capital University (B.A.)
Mitigating the risks of political activity
How does dark money stay dark?
IRS issues new procedures for reinstating tax-exempt status of organizations that failed to file returns for three consecutive years
When does operating like a business threaten your tax-exempt status?
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Bricker & Eckler Practice Areas Make National “Best Law Firms” List
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Partner Jerry Allen will receive David D. White Award
Bricker & Eckler Attorneys Named to National "Best Lawyers" List
Assisted a public university in the resolution of multiple issues in dispute within affiliated private nonprofit fundraising foundation.
Assisted an elite private college in the incorporation of a subsidiary that operates as a world class contemporary art museum.