Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.
Karen D. Smith
Karen Smith is a partner in Bricker & Eckler's Health Care group with a general health care law practice emphasizing general corporate, federal and state regulatory issues, including Stark Law, fraud and abuse, HIPAA, Medicare and Medicaid provider enrollment issues, Medicare provider-based issues, Medicare/Medicaid compliance issues and physician contracting (employment, recruitment and services agreements).
She facilitates ongoing regulatory compliance with federal and state agencies, the Ohio Department of Health, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services; assists hospitals in drafting all forms of physician contracts, including recruitment services and employment contracts and advises them with respect to state and federal laws, including Stark Law and the fraud and abuse laws. Karen also advises hospitals with respect to HIPAA, Medicare and Medicaid provider enrollment issues, and Medicare provider based regulation.
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association (Practice Groups: Fraud & Abuse, Self Referrals and False Claims; Hospitals and Health Systems; Regulation, Accreditation and Payment)
- Speaker, "Physician Recruitment - Legal Updates You Should Know," Ohio Network of Physician Recruiters, March 2011
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (health care law), 2010-2015
- Listed, Super Lawyers, 2009-2014
- University of Cincinnati (J.D., Order of the Coif)
- The Ohio State University (M.S.)
- The Ohio University (B.S., summa cum laude)
- Good Samaritan School of Nursing, Zanesville, Ohio (Diploma)
CMS makes big changes to RAC program
Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) preparation: Common sense planning
Analysis of Final HIPAA Omnibus Rule: Business Associates and Business Associate Agreements
On Your Mark, Get Set, ACO – A Quick Run Through of the Proposed ACO And Medicare Shared Savings Program Rule
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Fifty-One Bricker & Eckler Attorneys Named Ohio Super Lawyers
Bricker & Eckler Attorneys Named to National "Best Lawyers" List
Represented a county hospital that became affiliated with a large health care system, obtaining all regulatory approvals, overseeing self-disclosure of potential Stark issues and assisting with the payoff of outstanding bonds.