Represented a natural gas utility in the negotiation and acquisition of a rural natural gas pipeline system in eastern Ohio. The transaction involved the completion of due diligence and negotiation of a complicated asset purchase agreement and corresponding escrow agreement.
Matt W. Warnock
Matt Warnock is a partner and chair of Bricker & Eckler’s Oil & Gas Industry group. Matt focuses his practice on a wide range of energy issues, including, oil and gas transactional matters; energy policy initiatives; oil and gas litigation, including appellate work; title curative matters, including the resolution of mineral rights disputes under the Ohio Dormant Minerals Act; and serving as local counsel for producers and pipeline companies.
Matt also appears before state and regulatory agencies, including the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO), Ohio Power Siting Board (OPSB), and Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).
- Adjunct Professor, Capital University Law School, 2013-present
- Author, Oil and Gas Chapter of Ohio Real Estate Law (Baldwin's Ohio Practice), 2012-present
- Lead contributor, Bricker & Eckler LLP’s Marcellus and Utica Shale blog, 2011- present
- Regular Contributor, Bricker & Eckler Energy Exchange
- Speaker, "Ohio Dormant Mineral Act Update/Overview," Ohio State Bar Association Environment, Energy and Resource Law Seminar, April 2015
- Speaker, "Title Issues Relating to Oil and Gas Development in Ohio," First American Title Insurance Seminar, November 2014
- Speaker, "Oil and Gas Law Update," Columbus Bar Association, October 2014
- Speaker, "Title Issue and Recent Case Law Developments in Ohio Dealing with Oil and Gas," the Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA) Real Property Seminar at the OSBA Annual Meeting, May 2014
- Speaker, "Hot Topics in Oil and Gas Development," Ohio Township Association Annual Meeting, February 2014
- Speaker, “Oil and Gas Leases – Be Cautious,” The Ohio State Bar Association's 20th Annual Bradley J. Schaeffer Real Property Institute, Winter 2012-2014
- Speaker, “Interplay Between the Ohio Dormant Minerals Act and the Ohio Marketable Title Act,” Ohio State Bar Association CLE, August 2013
- Speaker, "Natural Gas Pipeline Issues," County Commissioners' Association of Ohio, December 2013
- Speaker, “Practical Issues of Working with Title Abstractors,” Ohio State Bar Association CLE, and Ohio Association for Justice Annual Meeting, Fall 2013
- Speaker, "Oil and Gas Leases in Ohio," Ohio State Bar Association Webcast, September 2013
- Speaker, “Recent Trends in Oil & Gas Leasing: An Ohio Perspective in the Marcellus and Utica Shale Plays,” YPE Energy Industry Training Conference, June 2013
- Speaker, “Next Generation Shale Issues: Infrastructure, Infrastructure and More Infrastructure,” 28th Annual Ohio State Bar Association Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar, April 2013
- Speaker, “Ohio’s Marketable Title and Dormant Mineral Acts,” Energy and Mineral Law Foundation Title and Development Issues in the Utica Shale – Ohio, April 2013
- Speaker, Introduction to the Ohio Power Siting Board, Dayton Bar Association, January 2013
- Speaker, “Oil and Gas Leasing 101, Utica Shale: Issues in Law, Practice and Policy,” Cleveland Marshall College of Law, September 13, 2012
- Speaker, "What the Frack? Oil and Gas Leasing 101," Ohio State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 2012
- Speaker, "The Shale Revolution," 16th Annual MEC Ohio Energy Management Conference, February 2012
- Speaker, "Welcoming Marcellus and Utica Shale Development in Ohio," Ohio Association for Career and Technical Education presentation, December 2011 and Ohio Prosecuting Attorney's Association, June 2011.
- Speaker, "Ohio House Bill 133: New Opportunities for Oil and Gas Development on State Lands," National Association of Royalty Owners, Appalachia Chapter, September 2011
- Co-author, "Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Financing: The Ohio Story," published by Electricity Journal, December 2010
- Speaker, "Documenting Leadership: A Symposium on Public Executive Records in the 21st Century," Executive Records: Access and Disclosure, May 2010
- Speaker, "The U.S. EPA's Renovation, Repair & Painting Rule," March 2010
- Contributor, "ABA Climate Change, Sustainable Development, and Ecosystems," Annual Report, 2009, 2010
- Author, “What an Ohio Oil and Gas Producer or Affiliated Industry Company Needs to Know About an OSHA Inspection,” September 2009
- Contributor, "Municipal Electric Aggregation: A Valuable Tool to Enhance Residential and Small Customer Access to Retail Markets," Capturing the Power of Electric Restructuring, American Bar Association, July 2009
- Author, "Stifling Gubernatorial Secrecy: Application of Executive Privilege to State Executive Officials," 35 Cap. U.L. Rev. 893, September 2007
- Participant, Ohio Supreme Court Mentoring Program, 2015-present
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association, Natural Resources Law Committee, 2013-present
- Member, Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, 2012-present
- Member, Ohio Oil and Gas Association, 2012-present
- Member, National Association of Royalty Owners, 2011-2014
- Member, Chief Justice Thomas J. Moyer American Inn of Court, 2010-2014
- Admitted, State of Ohio; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio and Southern District of Ohio
- Extern, Legal Office of former Ohio Governor Strickland and the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Energy Law) 2016
- Listed, "Who's Who in Energy," Columbus Business First, 2013-2015
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition, 2014-2015
- Recognized, "Associate to Watch in Natural Resources & Environment Law," ChambersUSA, 2014-2015
- Ohio Wesleyan University (B.S. with honors, history, summa cum laude, 2004); Phi Beta Kappa; Mortar Board
- Capital University (J.D., summa cum laude, 2007); Staff Member, Capital University Law Review
Ohio’s Seventh Appellate District reverses Monroe County Trial Court, holds form lease valid
Leases still partially valid: Federal Court decisions yield mixed results for Ohio oil and gas producers
Ohio’s mid-biennium review budget bill released
2013 end of year review: Important pipeline decisions from FERC
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Bricker & Eckler elects new partners
Bricker & Eckler attorneys named Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars
Economic impact of shale development in Ohio on the rise
Successfully obtained temporary restraining order on an expedited timeline for oil and gas company to install a pipeline in eastern Ohio.
Formed and worked with the Southeastern Ohio Landowners Association (SEOLA) to combine the acreage of landowners in five southeastern counties in order to negotiate oil and gas leases with multiple energy companies. SEOLA blossomed into the longest-lasting and most successful landowners group in Ohio with a dozen deals closed with eight different oil and gas companies, involving approximately 70,000 acres and more than $300 million in upfront, per-acre bonus payments to SEOLA landowners.
Represented Oregon Clean Energy, LLC before the Ohio Power Siting Board for approval to build a 799 mega-watt natural gas-fired combined-cycle generating facility in Oregon, Ohio. We also provided extensive counsel on real estate, environmental and tax issues related to the facility and acted as Ohio counsel responsible for due diligence required for its $850 million financing.
Served as a consultant to a national oil and gas trade association that represents companies involved in all aspects of the oil and natural gas industry. Led legislation and policy initiatives and addressed taxation concerns and regulatory issues impacting the oil and gas industry in Ohio.
Provided comprehensive representation of large, interstate natural gas pipeline company regarding a $450 million project for 76 miles of new 30-inch diameter pipeline and associated support facilities in Ohio. The project included environmental permitting and regulatory advice, real estate negotiations and transactional support, eminent domain litigation and work with local governments on road use maintenance agreements.
Provided representation to a bank trustee controlling nearly 4,000 acres of mineral rights in eastern Ohio. Beginning with the negotiation of an above-market-value oil and gas lease, which resulted in an initial payment to the trust of tens of millions of dollars, we provided related legal services, including the completion of title curative work, lease maintenance activities and the negotiation of ancillary agreements.
Filed amicus briefs on behalf of oil and gas clients in various Ohio appellate courts, including the Ohio Supreme Court and various intermediate appellate courts.
Represented oil and gas clients in various Ohio appellate courts, including the Ohio Supreme Court and various intermediate appellate courts regarding Ohio Dormant Minerals Act appeals.
Represented oil and gas clients in various Ohio appellate courts, including the Ohio Supreme Court and various intermediate appellate courts regarding expiration of leases.
Represented a landowner and litigated a quiet title action to a successful settlement with the operators of an abandoned oil and gas lease.
Represented oil and gas clients in various Ohio appellate courts, including the Ohio Supreme Court and various intermediate appellate courts regarding notice of assignment provisions.