Ryan M. Smith
Ryan Smith is a member of Bricker & Eckler’s Regulated Industries group, a member of the firm’s Shale Task Force and a member of Bricker's Southeast Ohio team. As a member of the Shale Task Force, Ryan represents public and private landowners in disputes involving oil and gas leases, mineral rights ownership and other issues related to shale development. A native of Marietta, Ryan works out of the firm's Marietta office frequently assisting clients with a variety of oil and gas matters.
Previously, he served as a legal clerk for the Kansas Corporation Commission, the state regulatory agency for public utilities and oil and gas development activity. Ryan also worked as a clerk with an oil and gas acquisition and divestiture firm.
As a student member of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (RMMLF) Ryan attended the Special Institute on Mineral Title Examination, the 58th RMMLF Annual Institute, and Hydraulic Fracturing: Core Issues and Trends. As a student...
» See All Narrative
Professional & Community Activities
- Lecturer, Landowner Concerns in Lease Negotiations, Oil and Gas Course Capital University Law School, 2013
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, Ohio State Bar Association's Advanced Oil & Gas CLE, “How to Navigate the ODNR Well Database and Well Locator,” August 2013
- Speaker, Muskingum Valley Chamber of Commerce, Southeastern Ohio Oil & Gas Update, August 2013
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted to practice in Ohio and West Virginia
- Member, Ohio State and Columbus Bar Associations
- Former member, Washburn University School of Law ABA negotiation competition team
Awards & Recognition
- Named a Dawson Scholar at Washburn University School of Law
- Received the Heights Endowment for the Study of Insurance Law
- Recipient of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation’s Joe Rudd Scholarship
- Washburn University (from what is now known as the Oil and Gas Law Center) (J.D. 2012) President, Business Law Society
- Scholarship recipient from the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Certificates in Natural Resources Law and Business & Transactional Law
» See All Education