John P. Beavers
John Beavers has been a practicing lawyer since 1972, including more than 11 years as managing partner, with Bricker & Eckler LLP. With his years of experience, John understands the critical role governance plays in all organizations, so he established and directs Bricker & Eckler’s Counsel for BOARDS AND EXECUTIVES. The counsel advises and represents governing boards and their committees and executives on the duties and responsibilities necessary to provide direction on matters that are critical to the success of an organization.
John is a leading proponent of an “expertise” board, which builds a board based on the collective skills and experiences of its members. While each member may bring a different skill or experience to the table, together, they compose the right mix of expertise to achieve the board’s objectives. This is in contrast to a “constituency” board which is composed of persons who represent the view of a particular constituency (such as the U.S....
» See All Narrative
Professional & Community Activities
- Founder of the Business First Advisory Board Exchange that finds, trains and places experienced advisors on advisory boards of business organizations
- Officer and trustee of the Harry C. Moores Foundation, one of the largest private foundations serving Central Ohio (1991–present)
- Former board member, Columbus Symphony Orchestra
» See All Professional & Community Activities
Presentations & Published Works
- Numerous articles on executive compensation, governance, board governance and operations, management, mergers and acquisitions, Sarbanes-Oxley, and SEC and other public disclosure and reporting for published in: Business First; Corporate Governance Report; Lexology; Corporate Board Member; and Directorship among others.
- Has presented on governance topics for the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies; the Property and Casualty Insurers Association of America; the American Council of Life Insurers; the Ohio Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, American Association of Corporate Counsel, Business Law Section of the American Bar Association, Ohio Society of CPAs, West Virginia Society of CPAs, National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Ohio Department of Insurance, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, Montana Hospital Association, Ohio Hospital Association, Ohio State University Fisher College of Business, among others.
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, American, Ohio State, Colorado State, and Columbus Bar Associations
Awards & Recognition
- 2014 Columbus, Ohio Corporate Compliance Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America
- 2013 Columbus, Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America
- 2010 Columbus, Ohio Corporate Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America
» See All Awards & Recognition
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1972)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., in econometrics and statistical analysis, cum laude, 1969); Phi Beta Kappa