Assisted an Ohio school district in the issuance of bonds in which the perceived security for the bonds was threatened by the financial woes of the county’s largest employer and taxpayer. Our attorneys provided timely and critical information to the bond rating agency and investors regarding how oil and gas leases and mineral rights are valued for property tax purposes and the potential impact of a bankruptcy filing on the payment of property taxes for the bonds.
Rebecca C. Princehorn
Becky Princehorn is a partner in and co-chair of Bricker & Eckler's Public Finance group. Her practice emphasizes school and local government law. She served as bond counsel for the first Ohio income tax-backed school district bonds; the first publicly offered Public Library Fund-backed library notes; the first school district in the Extreme Environmental Contamination Program of the Ohio School Facilities Commission; the first Ohio general obligation bond issue with a local government fund pledge; the first Ohio municipal general obligation bond issue for housing; and the first Ohio school district minibond issue.
She also served as counsel on the formation of the first limited home rule township in central Ohio and has structured collaborations between local governments, particularly those involving school districts, and gifts to local governments. Becky is a frequent lecturer on public finance for several organizations, including the Buckeye Association of School Administrators, the Ohio School Boards Association, the Ohio Library Council, the Ohio Association of School Business Officials, the Ohio Township Association and the Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association. She serves as Editor of Baldwin's Ohio Practice, Local Government Law-Township, published by Thomson/Reuters Publishing.
- Member, City of Worthington Charter Review Commission
- Chair, Worthington Community Improvement Corporation
- Board of Trustees, Otterbein University
- Board Member, Support Ohio Schools
- Fundraising Chair, City of Worthington Income Tax Campaign, 2010
- Co-Chair, Operating Levy Campaigns, Worthington City Schools, 2009 and 2000
- Baccalaureate Chair, Thomas Worthington High School: Activity Club, 2006-2008; President, Cards, Inc., Girls Lacrosse Parents Club, 2006-2008
- Former Chair, Board of Trustees, Worthington Educational Foundation
- Former President, Worthington City Schools PTA Council
- Former President, Thomas Worthington High School PTSO
- Former President, Kilbourne Middle School PTSA
- Former President, Wilson Hill Elementary PTO
- Former Member, Franklin County Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board; Chair, 1992-1994
- Former Member, Ohio Historic Site Preservation Advisory Board
- Former Member, Board of Zoning Adjustment, City of Columbus, Ohio
- Member, Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys
- Member, Association for Learning Environments
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, St. Peter's Catholic Church
- Member, Worthington McConnell Arts Center
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Education Law; Public Finance Law), 2010-2017
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Education Law) 2014
- Ranked, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Recipient, Meritorious Service Award, Worthington Board of Education, 2001
- Recipient, Business First "Forty Under 40" award, 1993
- Recipient, Community Service Award, Columbus Bar Association, 1987
- Named, Ohio "Young Career Woman of 1983," Ohio Federation of Business and Professional Women
- Otterbein College (now Otterbein University), (B.A. with honors, 1978)
- University of Kansas (J.D., 1981)
- University of Kansas (Master of Public Administration, 1982)
- Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle Graduate, 2016
School districts and county DD boards: Meaningful options from cost-effective collaboration
Westerville Tax Repeal Issue Rejected by Ohio Supreme Court
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Bricker & Eckler Practice Areas Make National “Best Law Firms” List
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Served as bond counsel on Ohio’s first voted bond issue for a community college district.
Served as bond counsel on unvoted financing for participation in Ohio School Facilities Commission Program.
Served as bond counsel on Public Library Fund-backed library notes with county intercept. Assisted with private use analysis related to community fundraising campaign.
Drafted a unique school district-hospital agreement to provide educational opportunities to high school students.
Successfully negotiated payments to offset lost revenues to total $1 million for a school district from an outlet mall developer over the taxation of a $100 million mall. Worked with the school district to evaluate levy options given proposed development.
Becky enjoys seeing all things grow, especially the next generation.
Fitness and nature are a favorite combination of Becky’s.
Becky is a graduate of the 135th class of the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle, America's oldest continuous book club. She received her diploma at the Hall of Philosophy in Chautauqua, New York.