Successfully defended a college in federal lawsuits filed by both the complainant and the respondent in a Title IX disciplinary case.
Richard S. Lovering
Rich Lovering is a partner in Bricker & Eckler's Litigation group and represents clients in a variety of complex cases with an emphasis on professional negligence defense. He has successfully litigated cases involving wrongful death and alleged birth-related brain damage, commercial and education law, Title IX allegations, age and gender discrimination, unfair competition disputes, trademark and trade secret litigation, insurance coverage disputes, TRO and preliminary injunction actions. He has also represented hospitals and physicians in hundreds of malpractice cases.
Rich's litigation highlights include representation of a minority shareholder plaintiff in obtaining a high eight-figure settlement in a corporate shareholder dispute regarding breach of fiduciary duty by a majority shareholder; representation of a plaintiff in obtaining a $9 million settlement in litigation regarding competing family members of a privately owned corporation; representation of an ex-employer in obtaining a $1.1 million jury verdict including award of $300,000 in punitive damages and attorney fees against an ex-employee; representation of an Ohio college in a jury trial in which the jury entered a defense verdict regarding the plaintiff's sexual harassment claims and awarded $25,000 in punitive damages against the plaintiff regarding a fraud counterclaim; and representation of an Ohio manufacturer in litigation with Sylvester Stallone and United Artists regarding use of the Rocky trademark.
Rich has also represented the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™ licensing agent in the United States District Court for Southern District of Ohio in the defense of a lawsuit alleging trademark infringement and breach of fiduciary duty; a Novgorod Russia fertilizer manufacturer in litigation in federal court alleging breach of multiple international sales agreements with Nigerian, Italian, and Chinese purchasers; and the Commissioner of Insurance for the State of Louisiana in litigation alleging fraud by the State of Louisiana officials and obtaining $500,000 in settlement of the counterclaim against the plaintiff.
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
- Member, National Association of College & University Attorneys
- Board member and past president of the Central Ohio Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and recipient of the Foundation's Volunteer Service Award
- Presenter, "Public Records for Private Universities," Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio, July 2015
- Co-Author, "The Peer Review Privilege: How & When is it Subject to Waiver," American Health Lawyers Association MedStaff News, Volume 9, Issue One, March 2010
- "Arbino Decision Provides Fairness and Predictability," Columbus Bar Lawyers Quarterly, Spring 2008
- "Proactive Use of the Rules of Evidence," presentation to the OSBA/OCLE Advanced Trial Techniques Seminar, August 1999
- "Removal, Remand and Appeal," presentation at Lorman Trial Techniques Seminar, October 1996 and October 1997
- "Expert Witnesses in Commercial Litigation," Chapter 8 in Commercial Litigation in Ohio, Law Practice Handbooks, Inc., 1995
- "Public Bid Disputes in Ohio," presented to Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association Fall Training Seminar, September 1995
- "Ohio Insurance Law: Bad Faith Claims," Lorman Business Center, Inc., February 1994
- "Remedies for Bidders on Public Works Projects," Midwest Business Institute, 1994
- "Minimizing the Antitrust Risks of Group Purchasing," Hospital Material Management Quarterly, Vol. 3, No. 3, February 1982
- Member, Columbus, Ohio State and American Bar Associations
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2005-2015
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (personal injury litigation) 2006-2015
- Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- University of Virginia School of Law (J. D., 1980)
- University of Virginia Darden Graduate School of Business (M.B.A., 1980)
- Trinity College (B. A., with honors, 1976); Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- London School of Economics, 1974 - 1975
Bricker & Eckler attorneys named Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Richard Lovering quoted in ED Legal Letter
Fifty-One Bricker & Eckler Attorneys Named Ohio Super Lawyers