Represented Oregon Clean Energy, LLC before the Ohio Power Siting Board for approval to build a 799 mega-watt natural gas-fired combined-cycle generating facility in Oregon, Ohio. We also provided extensive counsel on real estate, environmental and tax issues related to the facility and acted as Ohio counsel responsible for due diligence required for its $850 million financing.
Thomas J. O'Brien
Tom O'Brien is a member of Bricker & Eckler's Energy, Public Utilities and Environmental law group and his practice emphasizes telecommunications and energy law. As the former regulatory counsel at CoreComm Communications, Inc., he was responsible for carrier-to-carrier relations and interconnection matters across the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions. As an assistant to the Ohio Consumers' Counsel, he represented Ohio's residential utility consumers in electric, gas and telecommunications matters before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio and the Ohio Supreme Court. He has also served as staff regulatory counsel for the Michigan Consolidated Gas Company and as a hearing examiner and as executive assistant for the Illinois Commerce Commission.
Tom's representative experience includes:
- A 23 year practice dedicated exclusively to the regulated and deregulated electric, natural gas, telecommunications and water industries across the Midwest, as well as the FERC and the FCC.
- Representing the Ohio Manufacturers’ Association and Ohio Hospital Association, as well as major Ohio municipalities before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) and the Ohio legislature regarding energy matters.
- Advising manufacturers, hospitals, municipalities and school districts on matters related to energy procurement and energy efficiency.
- Served as in-house counsel to a major competitive local exchange carrier with responsibility for carrier-to-carrier relations, interconnection matters and customer service issues.
- Associate Member, Midwest Association of Competitive Carriers
- Member, Ohio Bar Association, Public Utilities Committee
- Sustaining Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Admissions Committee of Columbus Bar Association
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (communications law, energy law, water law) 2005-2015
- Recipient, OMA Legacy Award for significant contributions to advance manufacturing competitiveness in Ohio, 2008
- Southern Illinois University (J.D., 1986)
- DePauw University (B.A., 1982)
- Loyola University, Rome Center, 1980-1981
A “fixed-rate” is only as good as the fine print: FirstEnergy Solutions customers to face additional charges due to polar vortex
Base Residual Auction Shows Decline in Electric Capacity Prices for 2016/2017 Delivery Year
Ohio agencies release joint report on the use of compressed natural gas in the state vehicle fleet
Ohio Senate Public Utilities Committee Chairman announces plan to reexamine the state’s renewable energy and energy efficiency standards
Best Lawyers recognizes Bricker & Eckler attorneys
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys