Represented a county hospital that became affiliated with a large health care system, obtaining all regulatory approvals, overseeing self-disclosure of potential Stark issues and assisting with the payoff of outstanding bonds.
Thomas J. Onusko
Tom brings more than 30 years of valuable and varied health care experience to Bricker & Eckler’s Cleveland office. His practice has been dedicated primarily to health care law, including hospital-physician relationships, joint ventures, fraud and abuse counseling, corporate compliance programs, medical staff credentialing, mergers and acquisitions, managed care contracts, joint ventures, tax-exempt bond financing, third-party reimbursement and risk management.
He has also served as an adjunct professor at the Case Western Reserve University School of Law, teaching “Health Care Organization and Finance” and an adjunct professor at Cleveland State University Graduate Program in Health Care Administration, teaching “Introduction to Health Law.”
In 2009 he was appointed senior vice president and general counsel of The MetroHealth System, a 350-bed county hospital and academic medical center, where he supervised the operation of the 20-member, in-house law department.
He is also co-founder and past officer of the Health Care Section of the Greater Cleveland Bar Association and has published numerous articles, as well as serving as a speaker and presenter, on all aspects of health care law.
- Cleveland Marshall College of Law, Member of Health Law Advisory Committee, 2009 to present
- Director, Ohio Guidestone, 2014-present
- Director, American Red Cross, Northern Ohio Blood Services Region, 1997-present
- Director, Magnificat High School, 2004-2013
- Director, Judson Retirement Community, 1994-2000
- “The Biggest Mistakes Hospitals Make in Physician Contracts and How to Avoid Them” presented at the Inquisit Audio Conference, June 26, 2007
- “Legal Requirements for Transparency in Health Care” presented at the HFMA of Northeast Ohio Gerry Haggerty Annual Leadership Institute, May 13, 2015
- “Alignment of Physician-Hospital Incentives in the Post-Health Care Reform World” presented at the HFMA of Northeast Ohio Gerry Haggerty Annual Leadership Institute, May 21, 2014
- “Top Ten Trends and Issues in Health Care for 2013” presented to the Northeast Ohio Chapter of the Health Care Financial Managers Association, March 14, 2013
- “Introduction to Anti-kickback, Stark and False Claims” presented at the 28th Annual Healthcare Law Institute of the Greater Cleveland Bar Association in Cleveland, Ohio, April 26, 2012
- “Ohio Health Law Update” presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Health Lawyers Association in Washington, D.C., June 30, 2009
- “The Stark Law: Critical Issues for Health Care Financial Managers” presented at the HFMA Northeast Ohio Gerry Haggerty Annual Leadership Institute, Sandusky, Ohio, May 22, 2009
- “Recent Legal Developments Affecting Hospitals: Card Check Rules, Red Flag Rules and Self-Disclosure Requirements for Medicare Secondary Payment Claims” presented at the Lake Erie Regional Cooperative Meeting in Toledo, Ohio, April 17, 2009
- Qualifying Hospital – Physician Arrangements for Provider-Based Reimbursement Under Medicare published in Volume 1 Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal No. 12, March 2009
- “Ohio Health Law Update” presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Health Lawyers Association in San Francisco, California, July 1, 2008
- Physician Recruitment Under the Phase III Stark Rules published in Volume 1 Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal No. 1, March 2008
- “Economic Development Financing Tools” presented at the 29th Annual Real Estate Law Institute of the Greater Cleveland Bar Association in Cleveland, Ohio, November 9, 2007
- “Recent Legal Developments Affecting Health Care Lenders” presented at the Fifth Third Bank retreat in Cincinnati, Ohio, January 30, 2007
- Admitted to Ohio Bar, August 1977
- Member, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association; Co-Founder, Health Care Section, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Institute Chairman, and Institute Speaker
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (health care law) 1991-2009, 2014-2015
- Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell™
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2004-2009
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., magna cum laude, 1974)
- Cornell University (J.D. 1977)
Best Lawyers Recognizes Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Attorney Tom Onusko discusses the effects of health care reform in the legal industry
Best Lawyers Bestows Honors on Bricker & Eckler Attorneys
Tom Onusko joins Bricker & Eckler
Provided corporate regulatory advice in connection with the formation of a statewide network of six regional health care systems.
Advised a public hospital regarding its response to a series of requests for a large number of records.
Assisted with transitioning all assets of a not-for-profit developmental disability service provider to another not-for-profit developmental disability service provider in all facets of the transaction.
Represented a nonprofit community hospital in becoming affiliated with a large hospital system, obtaining all regulatory approvals.
Acted as borrower's counsel for a municipal hospital in the issuance of $35 million in revenue bonds.
Represented governmental hospital and acted as borrower's counsel in $25 million hospital revenue bond financing, successfully negotiating a unique provision that permitted the hospital to convert to private nonprofit status in the future without having to obtain the consent of the bondholders.