Industries & Practices
Business Restructuring & Reorganization
We blend legal and business knowledge to provide custom and effective solutions to problems faced by financially troubled businesses.
Distressed businesses do not necessarily need to close their doors or seek bankruptcy protection. Often, an out-of-court restructuring can be more effective and cost-efficient than a formal bankruptcy process or a viable alternative to liquidation. Our multidisciplinary team understands our clients’ goals, develops a strategy to accomplish those goals and executes an action plan to achieve results. Whether the strategy involves out-of-court financial restructuring, liquidation or reorganization, our advisors work together to protect and advance client interests.
Types of clients we represent:
- Public and private corporations, with deep knowledge and understanding of private equity and venture capital firm owned companies
- For-profit and nonprofit organizations
- Banking and financial institutions
- FinTech companies
- Technology companies
- Insurance companies
- Health care entities
- Manufacturing companies
- Energy companies
Areas of Focus
- Out-of-court restructuring: We understand that it is often more economically advantageous to pursue out-of-court loan workouts and settlements than bankruptcy or litigation. Our attorneys frequently represent borrowers in seeking to negotiate and modify loan agreements, including Small Business Administration (SBA) loans, loan covenant waivers, forbearance agreements, collateral surrender, liquidation, lien subordination and payment subordination transactions.
- Private equity lenders: We have deep experience representing clients owned or financed by private equity and venture capital firms in distressed situations.
- State court receivership/liquidation: We represent businesses in all phases of state court foreclosure proceedings to ensure the interests of our clients are fully protected. Our attorneys have significant experience in negotiating and documenting forbearance transactions, collateral surrender and liquidation transactions, and lien subordination and payment subordination transactions, as well as loan agreement amendment and covenant waiver matters.
- Business bankruptcy: Our attorneys have a broad range of experience representing debtors and debtors-in-possession in reorganization and liquidation bankruptcy cases. When necessary, our team assists clients with navigating the bankruptcy process by developing and executing a strategy to protect our clients’ interests.
- Bankruptcy litigation: We represent a variety of clients in bankruptcy courts throughout the country. Collaborating frequently with lawyers from our commercial litigation practice area, our bankruptcy litigators represent clients in bankruptcy matters (Chapters 7, 11 and 13) involving fraudulent and preferential transfer proceedings and adversary proceedings. Our bankruptcy litigators have also represented clients in cases on appeal with broad-reaching implications.
- Mergers and acquisitions: From small-dollar projects to highly complex public transactions, our attorneys, who have decades of combined merger, acquisition, affiliation and disposition experience, collaborate with our other practice groups to craft successful agreements.
- State and federal securities: Throughout all stages of corporate growth, we provide advice on corporate finance, private offerings, raising capital, convertible debt, stock options plans and related issues.
Receivers’ counsel and advisor
Represented and advised court-appointed receivers in state court proceedings to manage and liquidate real property and/or businesses.More
Bizarre treasure saga ends with large jury verdict
Won a $16.4 million verdict after three-week jury trial against Tommy Thompson, the notorious treasure hunter who found the wreck site of the S.S. Central America, which sank in 1857, and ...More
Recapitalization of FinTech borrower
Represented a privately held borrower in the FinTech space to recapitalize the company, which included amending and restructuring its $40 million corporate credit facility, its $250 million warehou...More
Customers and suppliers in bankruptcy
Helped navigate various vendors, suppliers and customers through all phases of the bankruptcy process.More
Receiver representation for commercial properties ...
Served as receiver's counsel on all issues related to property management, leasing and sale and assisted in the successful resolution of receivership cases across the state.More