CHNA requirements notice #1: 2017 CHNA deadlines for Ohio tax-exempt hospitals
Beginning July 1, 2017, and annually thereafter, each local health department and Ohio tax-exempt hospital must submit to the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) the Community Health Assessment (CHA)/CHNA and Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP)/Implementation Strategy (IS) for the most recent period. For most hospitals, this will be the 2016 CHNA and related IS.
- If the hospital is not government owned, submit Schedule H from IRS tax form 990 and attachments, including parts I and II (financial assistance, means tested government programs and community building activities).
- Subsequent filing must be submitted no later than 30 days after filing with the IRS.
- If the hospital is government owned, submit equivalent information to Schedule H and attachments.
By January 1, 2020, each local health department and Ohio tax-exempt hospital must complete assessments and plans in alignment on a three-year interval established by ODH.
- The 2019 CHNA and related IS covering 2020–2022 must be in alignment with the local health department.
By October 1, 2020, each local health department and Ohio tax-exempt hospital must submit to ODH the CHA/CHNA and CHIP/IS covering 2020–2022.
- This is the 2019 CHNA and related IS covering 2020–2022.
Beginning October 1, 2023, and every three years thereafter, each local health department and Ohio tax-exempt hospital must submit the subsequent CHA/CHNA and CHIP/IS to ODH.
- 2022 CHNA and IS covering 2023–2025
- 2025 CHNA and IS covering 2026–2028
ODH will establish an online repository for receipt of the required information. While we do not expect ODH to develop rules governing this requirement, draft guidance has been provided.Download PDF