Ohio BWC receives approval for additional $30 million in safety grants
Due to a flood of requests, the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) Board of Directors requested an additional $30 million dollars for safety grants. On February 10, 2020, the Controlling Board approved its request, bringing the total amount appropriated for safety grants to $70 million in fiscal years 2020 and 2021.
Safety grants are fully funded by employer premiums and provide up to $40,000 to employers for training, wellness programs and equipment to reduce injuries and illnesses. As of January 3, 2020, the BWC has already awarded:
- $8.2 million in school safety and security grants
- $5 million in safety intervention grants for manufacturers and other businesses
- $1.2 million in law enforcement body armor grants
- nearly $725,000 for firefighter protection
- $247,000 to protect social workers and caregivers to people with disabilities
- $82,000 in workplace wellness grants
Click here for more information on the BWC's program or to apply for a safety grant.
This is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice and does not create or imply an attorney-client relationship.Download PDF