Jhay T. Spottswood
Jhay Spottswood’s practice focuses on a wide range of transactional and litigation matters in the energy industry. Specifically, she has experience litigating and advising developers appearing before the Ohio Power Siting Board (OPSB) and the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO). She has represented clients in energy-related transactions by drafting lease option agreements, right of way agreements, lease agreements and revising power purchase agreements. Jhay also has experience in advising clients on electricity rate cases.
In the renewable energy industry, Jhay has litigated on behalf of wind developers and assisted with due diligence in the sale of wind and solar energy companies. Her litigation practice also includes representing natural gas companies in mineral lease disputes, pipeline right of way and commercial litigation for financial services companies.
Jhay’s prior experience includes an externship at Ohio EPA, where she assisted with the review of hazardous and solid waste permit applications and compliance under the Clean Air Act. She also clerked with the Honorable Judge George Smith of the Southern District of Ohio.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, YWCA Columbus Leadership for Social Change Cohort, 2020
- Member, Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy (WRISE), 2020
- Member, Women's Energy Network (WEN), 2019–present
- Member, Solar Energy Industries Association, 2019–present
- Board Member and Mentor, Community Health & Lifeskills Opportunities & Education Inc. (CHLOE), 2018–present
- Member, Women for Economic and Leadership Development (WELD) (Emerging Professionals Committee), 2017–2018
- Participant, Ms. JD National Women Law Students' Organization (NWLSO) Leadership Academy Class of 2017
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2018
- Planning Committee Member, CBA Barrister Leadership Program, 2020
- Participant, Barrister Leadership Program, 2019
- Secretary, John Mercer Langston Bar Association, 2019–2020
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association, 2018
- Member, Columbus Bar Association, 2018
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.), 2018; Moritz Merit Scholar; Managing Editor, Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution; Cheyenne Chambers Black Law Students Scholarship Recipient; Krivoshey Trial Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- University of Illinois at Chicago (B.A., political science and Spanish, cum laude), 2012