Ali I. Haque
Ali Haque is a partner and chair of the firm's Insurance group. His practice includes complex commercial litigation, class action defense, insurance, financial services and employment litigation. Ali has represented clients in cases throughout the U.S., both in federal and state courts.
Some of Ali’s noteworthy experience includes serving as first-chair trial and appellate counsel in a case brought by a former agent against a national insurance carrier. The trial court dismissed the case on summary judgment. Ali argued the case before the appellate court, which affirmed the trial court, and the Supreme Court of Ohio denied review of the appeal.
Ali served as second-chair in a trial defending a national life insurance carrier against a breach of trust claim and obtained a directed verdict in favor of his client. He was also involved in defending a bank in a $6 billion adversarial bankruptcy proceeding against investors related to a leveraged buyout of a company that went bankrupt.
Previously, Ali worked in-house on a secondment with a Fortune 100 insurance company. He also was a judicial extern for the Honorable Jeffrey S. Sutton of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit and for UBS Financial Services. Prior to law school, he worked in the New York office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP for nearly three years, assisting with antitrust and corporate litigation matters.
Oil and gas class action
Successfully obtained complete relief for a client through settlement by intervening in an appeal of a certified class action to relieve the client from any obligations under an expired oil and gas lease at issue in the case and to avoid application of the trial court's tolling order against landowners with the form oil and gas lease at the heart of the class action.
Multi-billion dollar adversarial bankruptcy case
Defended a bank in a $6 billion adversarial bankruptcy proceeding in New York against investors related to a leveraged buyout of a company that went bankrupt.
Amicus related to Ohio class action litigation
Prepared an amicus brief on behalf of the Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys in support of appellants, arguing that the Supreme Court of Ohio should limit class actions under the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act to claimants who can show actual damages and limit all class actions under Civil Rule 23 to claimants who suffered actual harm.
Life insurance policy trial
Obtained a directed verdict in a Kentucky trial in defense of a national insurance carrier against a breach of trust claim.
Agent lawsuits in 25 states
Represented a national insurance carrier in response to agent lawsuits in over 25 states.
Fraud and breach of contract claim
Successfully defended a large metropolitan school district in a lawsuit filed by a real estate developer claiming $10 million in lost future profits for fraud and breach of contract in conjunction with the development of property owned by the district.
Class action lawsuit regarding appropriation proceedings
Represented the State of Ohio, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and its director in a class action lawsuit brought by all Lake Erie lakefront property owners regarding appropriation proceedings for more than 10,000 parcels of land. The question before the court was whether the State’s claim of public trust ownership to the ordinary high water mark (which was rejected by the Ohio Supreme Court) — whether made through general public statements, in specific lease negotiations or by other means — constitutes an unconstitutional taking of private property.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Bricker & Eckler Recruiting Committee, 2013-2018
- Member, Bricker & Eckler Diversity & Inclusion Committee, 2018-present
- Vice Chair, Rising Professionals Council, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law
- Member, The Columbus Academy Diversity Committee
- Chair, Vassar College Alumni Admissions Committee of Columbus
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, Bricker & Eckler's Ohio Insurance Cybersecurity Seminar, September 2019
- Author, “An Interview with Patricia Hatler,” Columbus Bar Lawyers Quarterly, Winter 2014
- Author, “A Conversation with Judge Sutton,” Columbus Bar Lawyers Quarterly, Fall 2014
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2019 - present; Sixth Circuit, 2013 - present
- Admitted, United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2015 - present; Southern District of Ohio, 2012 - present; Eastern District of Michigan, 2017 - present
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow, 2018
- President, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio, 2018
- President-Elect, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio, 2017
- Member Liaison, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio, 2016
- Treasurer, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio, 2014-2015
- Board Member, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Central Ohio, 2014-present
- Chair, American Bar Association's Young Lawyers Committee on Business Law, 2014-2015
- Vice Chair, American Bar Association's Young Lawyers Committee on Business Law, 2013-2014
- Member, American Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association; Columbus Bar Association (Admissions Committee)
Awards & Recognition
- 40 Under 40 Honoree, Columbus Business First, Class of 2020
- Recognized, Columbus CEO Future 50, Class of 2020
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Business Litigation; Civil Litigation: Defense; Class Action/Mass Torts), 2014, 2017–2018
- The Ohio State University (J.D., cum laude), 2011
- Vassar College (B.A., economics) 2005
Ali Haque named to Columbus CEO magazine's inaugural group of “Future 50” leaders
Columbus CEO magazine recently announced its inaugural group of “Future 50” leaders, a class of “people with the ideas, the energy and the hearts to move the Columbus region forward in the critical decade ahead.”More Oct 11, 2019
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Continuing the firm’s trend of excellence and distinction, 43 Bricker & Eckler attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers list. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys. Additionally, four attorneys were named to “Top Lists” in Ohio.More Dec 15, 2016