Allen R. Killworth
Allen Killworth has a practice focusing on regulatory issues affecting hospitals and health care facilities. He works with health care providers on a variety of survey, certification, and licensure issues, including preparing for and responding to surveys, drafting plans of correction, and appealing adverse determinations. Allen’s practice also includes provider enrollment and regulatory issues related to initial organization, changes of ownership, and mergers and acquisitions of health care entities. Additionally, he assists providers with a wide range of HIPAA privacy and security issues, including full and focused audits, breach investigations, assistance with OCR compliance investigations, policy drafting and implementation, and workforce training.
"Allen Killworth is highlighted by market sources for his strength in HIPAA matters. He also has experience across other healthcare regulatory issues, often acting on behalf of a range of hospitals and healthcare providers."
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Board of Directors, Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys, 2007–present; President, 2014–2015
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "ODH Maternity License Surveys," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Speaker, "Using HIPAA Self-Audits as a Compliance Tool,” NIST/OCR Safeguarding Health Information – Building Assurance through HIPAA Security Conference, Washington, D.C., September 2017
- Speaker, "HIPAA Hot Topics, Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, "Cybersecurity: Addressing Threats and Managing HIPAA Issues," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, “Cardiac Cath Surveys,” Ohio Hospital Association, January 22, 2016
- Speaker, "HIPAA and Meaningful Use in Health Care Transactions," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 8, 2015
- Speaker, "HIPAA Hot Topics," HCCA Upper North Central Regional Annual Conference, Columbus, Ohio, May 9, 2014
- Speaker, “HIPAA and Mobile Devices,” Ohio Association Medical Staff Services (OAMSS) Spring Conference, Columbus, Ohio, May 1, 2014
- Speaker, “ODH Maternity Survey and Appeals Process," Ohio Hospital Association Maternal-Child Care Excellence Conference, Powell, Ohio, April 23, 2014
- Speaker, "HIPAA in Health Care Transactions," American Health Lawyers Association, Current HIT Challenges Conference, Baltimore, MD, March 28, 2014
- Speaker, "Review of the HIPAA Omnibus Rule (and a Look at What's Next...)," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, Columbus, Ohio, June 11, 2013
- Speaker, "Update on the HIPAA Omnibus Rule," Health Ethics Trust, Columbus, Ohio, August 6, 2013
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio; State of Minnesota
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Fellow, Ohio State Bar Foundation, 2004
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2012–2020
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Health Care with a Band 3 ranking, 2016–2019; Up and Coming ranking, 2014–2015
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2013–2016
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2006–2007, 2009, 2011–2012
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D.), 1997
- Vanderbilt University (B.A.), 1994
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016
Health care information database
Assisted in the development of a state-wide database for health care information reports, including the creation of policies and agreements and compliance with regulatory requirements (including HIPAA). Also worked to revise protocols for state-to-state relationships, the sharing of data and related data sharing agreements.
School district/hospital collaboration
Drafted a unique school district-hospital agreement to provide educational opportunities to high school students.
System-wide electronic medical record system
Assisted a large health system with the system-wide implementation of an electronic health records (EHR) system, ensuring legal and regulatory compliance, HIPAA security and continuity of patient care.
Health system acquisition
Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.