Allen R. Killworth
Allen Killworth has a practice focusing on regulatory issues affecting hospitals and health care facilities. He works with health care providers on a variety of survey, certification, and licensure issues, including preparing for and responding to surveys, drafting plans of correction, and appealing adverse determinations. Allen’s practice also includes provider enrollment and regulatory issues related to initial organization, changes of ownership, and mergers and acquisitions of health care entities. Additionally, he assists providers with a wide range of HIPAA privacy and security issues, including full and focused audits, breach investigations, assistance with OCR compliance investigations, policy drafting and implementation, and workforce training.
"Allen Killworth is 'a very solid regulatory lawyer who is meticulous with detail.'"
"Allen Killworth is well regarded for his work on regulatory and compliance issues in the health care sector. He also advises clients on transactional matters, including the creation of joint ventures."
"Allen Killworth is noted for his expertise in health care regulatory work, routinely assisting clients with HIPAA matters such as OCR compliance investigations and workforce training."
HIPAA policy review
Reviewed the HIPAA policies of two regional health plans to ensure continued compliance with relative state laws. These regional health plans were part of a national health plan’s portfolio and also required compliance with the national plan’s policies on HIPAA privacy, security and breaches.
CMS 1135 waiver requests related to COVID-19
Drafted Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services 1135 waiver request for modifications to federal rules in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency for Ohio hospitals. Also assisted several health systems in specific requests tailored to their operations.
Health system COVID-19 response
Provided 24/7 support to a health system responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Advised the system on federal and state regulations, including waivers issued as a result of the public health emergency declaration. Also advised on staffing, compensation, quality and patient care issues, as well as expanding telehealth abilities and related reimbursement issues.
Health care information database
Assisted in the development of a state-wide database for health care information reports, including the creation of policies and agreements and compliance with regulatory requirements (including HIPAA). Also worked to revise protocols for state-to-state relationships, the sharing of data and related data sharing agreements.
School district/hospital collaboration
Drafted a unique school district-hospital agreement to provide educational opportunities to high school students.
Health system acquisition
Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.
System-wide electronic medical record system
Assisted a large health system with the system-wide implementation of an electronic health records (EHR) system, ensuring legal and regulatory compliance, HIPAA security and continuity of patient care.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Law Association
- Member, Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys
- Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys Board of Directors, 2007-2017; President, 2014–2015
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Preparing for the HIPAA Privacy Rule Changes," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Speaker, "Information Blocking: When 'To Have and To Hold' Will Get You in Trouble," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Speaker, "Post-Pandemic Legal Issues for Hospitals," Ohio Hospital Association Webinar, October 2020
- Speaker, "Interoperability Rule Implementation and Compliance," Ohio Hospital Association Webinar, September 2020
- Speaker, "HIPAA Hot Topics," HCCA Virtual Columbus Regional Healthcare Compliance Conference, May 2020
- Speaker, "ODH Maternity License Surveys," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Speaker, "Using HIPAA Self-Audits as a Compliance Tool,” NIST/OCR Safeguarding Health Information – Building Assurance through HIPAA Security Conference, Washington, D.C., September 2017
- Speaker, "HIPAA Hot Topics, Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, "Cybersecurity: Addressing Threats and Managing HIPAA Issues," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, “Cardiac Cath Surveys,” Ohio Hospital Association, January 22, 2016
- Speaker, "HIPAA and Meaningful Use in Health Care Transactions," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 8, 2015
- Speaker, "HIPAA Hot Topics," HCCA Upper North Central Regional Annual Conference, Columbus, Ohio, May 9, 2014
- Speaker, “HIPAA and Mobile Devices,” Ohio Association Medical Staff Services (OAMSS) Spring Conference, Columbus, Ohio, May 1, 2014
- Speaker, “ODH Maternity Survey and Appeals Process," Ohio Hospital Association Maternal-Child Care Excellence Conference, Powell, Ohio, April 23, 2014
- Speaker, "HIPAA in Health Care Transactions," American Health Lawyers Association, Current HIT Challenges Conference, Baltimore, MD, March 28, 2014
- Speaker, "Review of the HIPAA Omnibus Rule (and a Look at What's Next...)," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, Columbus, Ohio, June 11, 2013
- Speaker, "Update on the HIPAA Omnibus Rule," Health Ethics Trust, Columbus, Ohio, August 6, 2013
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Fellow, Ohio State Bar Foundation, 2004
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Health Care with a Band 3 ranking, 2016–2021; Up and Coming ranking, 2014–2015
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2012–2021
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2013–2016
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2006–2007, 2009, 2011–2012
- The Ohio State University College of Law (J.D.), 1997
- Vanderbilt University (B.A.), 1994
Ohio bill codifies changes to reporting requirements for hospitals related to defendant competency issues in criminal casesMore
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Killworth discusses HIPAA challenges for health care entities in the midst of COVID-19
Providers are continually needing to be flexible and resourceful in how and where they offer care to a growing number of coronavirus patients, and, according to Bricker health care attorney Allen Killworth, a waiver is helpful but may not be enough.More Mar 25, 2020
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016