Amy S. Bartemes
Amy Bartemes is a partner whose practice focuses on commercial real estate law with a balanced client base of both public and private entities. Amy’s practice for public clients includes representing school districts and educational service centers in various real estate transactions, including purchase and sale contracts, leases, auctions, land exchange agreements and easements. For public libraries, she assists clients in implementing the real estate component of their master facilities plans. A significant portion of Amy’s practice also includes representing private developers in a broad range of real estate transactions, such as purchase and leasing agreements and development agreements.
With over 25 years of experience, Amy has a diverse background and has considerable experience in representing hospitals with medical office leases, representing various clients in civil and commercial litigation, including contract disputes, age discrimination, medical malpractice and insurance defense, and has extensive knowledge in providing real estate counsel to wireless communication networks. Additionally, she has represented clients before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio on a variety of issues, including applicants before the Ohio Power Siting Board.
Sale of property for public library
Assisted a public library in the sale of a 1.25 acre apartment complex to a local developer for $1.46 million. Bricker’s team handled not only the sale of the property but also assisted the client in resolving issues that arose during the sale such as PACE financing and various pre-closing requirements imposed by the local government on the buyer.
Property acquisition for local school
Assisted a local school district in acquiring property to expand its campus. Our team not only handled the acquisition but also assisted the client in navigating restrictions of the property and various pre-closing requirements imposed by the local government on the buyer.
School district expansion
Bricker assisted a local school district in the acquisition of over 104 acres of property. Our team negotiated and drafted the purchase agreements for the land from two sellers, obtained a lot split, drafted right of way easements, a sanitary sewer easement and an easement for ingress, egress, and public and private utilities. The acquisition of this property allowed the school district to build a new high school, build an additional elementary school and add upgrades to current buildings.
Out of state sale of property
Assisted a local private university in the sale of property in Georgia.
Sale of property to out of state developer
Assisted our client in the sale of over 100 acres of property to a large, out of state developer. Our team handled all real estate aspects including, lot splits, lot consolidation, leasebacks, contract negotiations and amendments, Current Agricultural Use Value (CAUV) issues and navigation of local government requirements.
Sale and acquisition of new headquarters
Assisted a local developer with the sale and partial leaseback of their previous headquarters and the acquisition of new headquarters. Our team handled all real estate aspects including the sale of lots and navigation of local government requirements. Additionally, our public finance team assisted the client with tax incrementing finance (TIF) issues.
Acquisition and demolition of derelict property
Represented a hospital system in acquiring various properties as part of its campus expansion project. Our firm assisted the client in acquiring a portion of derelict land from the seller and prepared an agreement for the demolition of a building located on both the client and seller’s property. Our team handled all real estate aspects of this matter, including negotiation and preparation of a purchase and sale agreement, preparation of access and indemnification contracts, a temporary reciprocal construction easement and demolition agreements. We also assisted the client with removal of a utility easement from the property.
Acquisition of property for local franchisee
Assisted a local franchisee in connection with the acquisition of several properties in order to build a franchise. Our team handled all real estate aspects of the matter including an eminent domain issue and navigation of local government requirements.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member and Former Chair, Real Property Law Institute Planning Committee, Columbus Bar Association, 2010 - present
- Member, American Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association; Columbus Bar Association
- Member, CREW (Commercial Real Estate Women), Columbus, OH
- Vice Chair, Bricker & Eckler Training Committee
- Former Member, Bricker & Eckler Recruiting Committee
- Former Vice Chair, Bricker & Eckler Talent Committee
- Past Member, International Right of Way Association
- Volunteer, United Way
Presentations & Published Works
- Co-Presenter, "Land Acquisition by School Districts - Do You Know All of the Tools Available in Your Toolbox, OASBO's 66th Annual Conference & Expo, 2022
- Author, "Best Practices in School District Real Estate Transactions," SBO Quarterly, 2021
- Co-Presenter, "Ohio Real Property Case Law & Legislative Update," Ohio State Bar Association, Bradley J. Schaeffer Real Property Law Institute, 2021
- Co-Presenter, "Buy, Sell or Lease: Real Estate Primer for School Districts," Bricker & Eckler Wednesday Webinar, 2020-2021
- Co-Presenter, "Shared Services & Local Government Cooperation," Ohio Economic Development Association Annual Summit, 2019
- Speaker, "Real Property Issues for Schools," Buckey Association of School Administrators, School Facilities & Safety Conference, 2017-2018
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Awards & Recognition
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers, 2022
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Real Estate Law), 2020-2022
- Listed, Who's Who in American Law
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- Vanderbilt University (J.D., 1993)
- Purdue University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1990)
- L'Universite of Strasbourg, France (certificate of proficiency in French, 1989)
- Oxford University, Magdalen College, Oxford, England (Institute on International and Comparative Law, 1991)
Bartemes inducted into prestigious American College of Real Estate Lawyers
Bricker & Eckler is pleased to announce that Amy Straker Bartemes, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, was recently inducted into the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL), the premier organization of real estate lawyers in the United States.More Apr 28, 2022