Avery Schumacher is a health care attorney with broad knowledge of the health care industry, public health and health administration. Her specific experience includes medical staff and privileging issues, physician and advanced practice provider employment agreements, and issues surrounding Medicare cost apportionment, Stark, false claims, anti-kickback and beneficiary inducement laws.
Having worked with complex health care contracts and agreements, Avery has been involved with a health care system’s million-dollar acquisition. Likewise, she is familiar with HIPAA regulations and regulatory compliance orders, as well as matters related to clinical research.
Before joining Bricker, Avery acquired professional experience within two of Central Ohio’s largest health care provider networks. She also has a Master’s degree in Health Administration.
Central Ohio COVID-19 surge facility
Managed, coordinated and prepared legal arrangements necessary to establish a hospital facility for use by several of central Ohio’s primary hospital systems. Facilitated negotiations among three health systems, the surge facility’s primary owner and its food service contractor.
Professional & Community Activities
- Volunteer Counselor, Nationwide Children’s Hospital Myelo Camp
- Member, American Health Law Association Young Professionals Council, Social Media Coordinator
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Who Wants to Be a Corrective Action Extraordinaire?," 44th NAMSS Educational Virtual Conference, October 2020
- Speaker, "Sharing Information About Problem Providers: Is The Benign Affiliation Letter Adequate?," Northeast Ohio Association Medical Staff Services Regional Conference, October 2019
- Speaker, "#MeToo and Your Medical Staff: Handling Allegations of Misconduct," Southwest Ohio Association Medical Staff Services Regional Conference, August 2019
- Speaker, "Sharing Information About Problem Providers: Is The Benign Affiliation Letter Adequate?," Southwest Ohio Association Medical Staff Services Regional Conference, August 2019
- Speaker, "Counsel's Advice: 10 Words to Remove From Your Vocabulary," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Co-author, "Sharing Credentialing, Privileging and Peer Review Information Within Systems," AHLA MedStaff News, April 2019
- Speaker, "Case Law Update: State and Federal Developments," 2019 OSHRM-SOHA Spring Conference, March 2019
- Speaker, "Reporting Obligations: The Proverbial Dirty Laundry," Ohio Association Medical Staff Services Spring Conference 2019, March 2019
- Speaker, "The Ohio Peer Review Privilege and PSQIA," Columbus Bar Association, January 2019
- Speaker, "Reporting Obligations: The Proverbial Dirty Laundry," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, "Incidentally, What Are You Doing With Incident Reports?," Ohio Association For Healthcare Quality State Conference, May 2018
- Author, "What I Learned In-House, Before Joining My Firm," Ohio Women's Bar Association Network Newsletter, Spring 2018
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2016
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- The Ohio State University College of Public Health (M.H.A.), 2016; Caswell Scholar
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.), 2016; Executive Board, Note Editor, Ohio State Law Journal; LLM Legal Writing Fellow
- The Ohio State University (B.A. summa cum laude, Communications), 2011