Bobbie S. Sprader
Bobbie Sprader devotes herself exclusively to health care litigation. Her practice includes the defense of physicians and hospitals facing claims of medical negligence and wrongful death, and she represents providers during investigations by the various professional boards. In that role, she has over two decades of experience in the courtroom conducting jury trials, arguing to various appellate courts and arguing before the Ohio Supreme Court. She also provides a wide variety of educational, advisory and litigation support services to hospitals and various health care providers.
An invited speaker on legal issues relevant to the medical community, Bobbie has presented on behalf of numerous medical and legal organizations. This includes involvement in a program where both resident physicians and laws students learn about depositions, from their various perspectives. She has also testified before the Ohio Legislature on behalf of the Ohio Hospital Association and the Ohio State Medical Association. Her goal is always to provide outstanding legal representation while tending to the personal and professional needs of her clients and their legal challenges.
"Bobbie Sprader has been so impressive in her ability to clearly summarize the elements of our complex case, lead the discussion to ensure our understanding, recommend next steps, and follow up with other parties to communicate our concerns and decisions."
"Bobbie Sprader is held in high regard for her niche expertise in health care litigation. She regularly advises hospitals, health care systems and medical professionals facing negligence and wrongful death claims, alongside wider expertise in regulatory investigations."
"Bobbie Sprader is widely respected as a premier litigator in the health care field. Her abilities in handling issues such as medical negligence, personal injury and wrongful death are classified as 'outstanding.'"
Jury trial experience
Over two decades of experience defending hospitals, nurses, physicians, and other medical providers against medical negligence and wrongful death claims in various Ohio courtrooms.
Proponent for legislative changes to benefit the medical community
Testified before the Ohio House and Senate on multiple occasions in support of legislative changes that would benefit the medical community.
Making important law for Ohio Hospitals - Comer v. Risko
Successfully argued before the Ohio Supreme Court, establishing that hospitals cannot be primarily responsible for independent providers.
Professional board investigations
Represent physicians and nurses during professional board interviews and investigations.
Regularly present to medical providers for CME credit on issues of informed consent, chain of command, privileges, documentation, etc.
Hospital advisory services
Advise hospitals regarding various process improvements that can enhance patient care and minimize liability risk, including developing processes and policies around both existing and new/innovative care modules.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Ohio Hospital Association
- Member, Society for Ohio Health Care Attorneys
- Member, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, “Does the Legal Medical Record Still Exist?” Ohio Health Information Management Association Annual Meeting March 2019
- Speaker, "Does the Legal Medical Record Exist Anymore?," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, "The Opioid Epidemic: Impact on Ohio Hospitals," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, “Liabilities Arising Out of The Opiate Epidemic,” Ohio Hospital Advisory Panel , October 2017
- Speaker, "Are You Sure Your Incident Reports Are Protected?," OSHRM/SOHA Fall Conference, September 2017
- Speaker, "Negligent Credentialing Claims in Ohio - Active and Under Attack," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, “There Could Never Be a Dr. Swango At Our Facility,” OAHQ Annual Conference, May 2017
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 1994
- Admitted, State of Kentucky
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted, U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Member, Kentucky Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Litigation - Health Care; Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants), 2020
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Litigation - Health Care; Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants), 2015–2020
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Defense), 2010–2014, 2018–2020
- Recognized, Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial with a Band 4 ranking, 2013–2018
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.), 1994
- Bowling Green State University (B.S., cum laude), 1991
Bricker attorneys listed by Super Lawyers for 2020
The 2020 Super Lawyers list of outstanding lawyers includes 31 Bricker attorneys, representing four of the firm’s office locations and 13 areas of practice. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys, and three attorneys were named to “Top Lists” for Ohio.More Nov 27, 2019
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016