Casey L. Cross
Casey Cross is a construction attorney who focuses on both transactional and litigation matters. In addition to providing guidance on project delivery models, including construction manager at risk, design-build and general contractor, Casey prepares procurement and contract documents. She also negotiates construction project contracts on behalf of both public and private owners. Having been a part of many projects involving schools, libraries, health care systems, and municipalities, she has worked with architects, developers, contractors and other key personnel to ensure a project is developed and carried out successfully. In the event that claims are filed and litigation arises, Casey represents owners, contractors and design professionals to reach a beneficial outcome. Additionally, Casey works with public and private owners in dealing with mechanic’s liens and assists in resolving bid disputes.
Casey also dedicates a portion of her practice to pro bono work, namely through the Legal Aid Society of Columbus's Tenant Advocacy Project and by assisting survivors of human trafficking to get their criminal records expunged.
Prior to joining Bricker, Casey worked as a staff attorney under The Honorable Richard A. Frye of the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas. While earning her law degree, Casey served as a legal intern at the Ohio Senate and was a judicial extern for The Honorable Edmund A. Sargus, Jr., of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio.
School procurement and construction counsel
Provide procurement and construction counsel services to numerous school districts throughout the State of Ohio for new building projects, as well as renovations, for both locally funded projects and those in conjunction with the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission.
Task order construction manager at risk agreement
Prepared the requests for qualifications, requests for proposals and specialized contract documents for task order construction manager at risk arrangements for public and private entities including hospital systems and library systems.
Library renovation and new construction projects
Prepared procurement and bidding documents and negotiated contracts for architects, construction managers at risk, and general contractors for renovation and new construction projects for libraries, including projects involving multiple branches. Construction values ranged from less than $100,000 to $20 million.
County jail renovation and new construction projects
Assisted with the selection of project delivery models and prepared request for qualifications, request for proposals, design professional agreements and construction contract documents for a variety of new build and renovation projects for county jails. Project delivery models included construction manager at risk, design-build and general contractor. Project values ranged from $3 to $50 million.
Professional & Community Activities
- Volunteer, St. Thomas More Newman Center (Finance Committee, Young Professionals Social Chair and Peer Ministry Committee)
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Understanding Construction Procurement for Municipal Construction," Ohio Municipal League, August 2020
- Presenter, "The Bid Review Process - Evaluating and Documenting the Process, Bidder Protests, and Litigation," Selecting Project Delivery Methods & Bidding Public Construction Contracts, May 2020
- Presenter, "Construction Procurement Process Overview for School Districts," Ohio Association of School Business Officials (OASBO) 64th Annual Workshop, April 2020
- Presenter, “Payment and Performance Surety Bonds in Construction Projects: Perspectives of Owners, Contractors, and Sureties,” Strafford Webinar, March 2020
- Presenter, “School Construction: Understanding Procurement and Delivery Models,” Bricker Wednesday Webinar, February 2020
- Presenter, "Strategies for Dealing With Claims - Insurance and Bonds," Top Gun Construction Claims Seminar, October 2019
- Presenter, "Construction Procurement Process Overview for Counties," County Commissioners Association of Ohio (CCAO) webinar, September 2019
- Author, “Ohio Court of Claims Upholds Necessity of Contractors and Sureties to Follow Contractual Dispute Resolution Process,” National Association of Credit Management eNews, July 25, 2019
- Presenter, "The Bid Review Process - Evaluating and Documenting the Process, Bidder Protests, and Litigation," Selecting Project Delivery Methods & Bidding Public Construction Contracts, May 2019
- Presenter, "Mock Board Meeting: A Real World Experience," Ohio Association of School Business Officials (OASBO) 63rd Annual Workshop, April 2019
- Presenter, "Strategies for Dealing With Claims - Insurance and Bonds," Top Gun Construction Claims Seminar, October 2018
- Presenter, "The Bid Review Process - Evaluating and Documenting the Process, Bidder Protests, and Litigation," Selecting Project Delivery Methods & Bidding Public Construction Contracts, May 2018
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2014
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association (Chair, Common Pleas Court Committee, 2017-2019)
- Member, Women Lawyers of Franklin County (Chair, Pro Bono Committee, 2019-Present)
Awards & Recognition
- Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation), 2021
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.), 2014; Editorial Staff, Ohio State Law Journal; Oxford Study Abroad Summer Program; Public Service Fellow; Vice-President, Business Law Society; Student Advisory Board Member, Program on Law and Leadership; Mentoring and More @ Moritz; Admissions Ambassador
- The Ohio State University (B.S. magna cum laude with honors, Actuarial Science), 2011; Phi Beta Kappa, The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
Ohio Court of Claims upholds necessity of contractors and sureties to follow contractual dispute resolution processMore
Introduction to design-build and construction manager at risk procurement for Ohio public entitiesMore
Wednesday Webinar: Signed, Sealed, Delivered – Understanding Construction Procurement for Schools (Pre-K to 12)
- Wednesday, February 10, 2021
- 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM