Christine Rideout Schirra
Christy Rideout Schirra is an experienced environmental attorney in the Energy & Environmental Group, focusing her practice on a wide array of environmental and energy matters. Christy regularly counsels clients on environmental and regulatory issues involving compliance, due diligence, contract negotiation, permitting, enforcement and litigation. This includes assisting clients with matters pertaining to the Clean Water Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, hazardous and solid waste regulation under CERCLA and RCRA, underground storage tank regulations and the Clean Air Act. Christy has successfully represented clients in both state and federal court, and at administrative hearings, trial court and appellate court proceedings.
Before joining Bricker, Christy served as an Assistant Attorney General with the Environmental Enforcement Section of the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, representing Ohio EPA on matters relating to water pollution control and drinking and ground water laws and rules. Christy also worked as a legal extern with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 5 Office of Regional Counsel, and the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio.
Oil and gas transactions and disputes
Provide Ohio-specific legal counsel to Gulfport Energy Corporation on a variety of transactional and litigation matters primarily involving title issues and oil and gas lease disputes, including several appeals.
Landfill clean-up litigation
Serve as litigation counsel for the Dayton Power & Light Company relating to a clean-up of an old landfill pursuant to the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA). Clean-up at the site could exceed $100 million, involves dozens of parties and has a long procedural history.
Construction and operation of an 800 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle power plant
Provided comprehensive legal counsel to Clean Energy Future regarding the construction and operation of an 800 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle power plant in northeast Ohio (Lordstown, Mahoning County, Ohio). We successfully represented the client through all phases of the Ohio Power Siting Board, including public hearings, OPSB staff investigations and an adjudicatory hearing, which resulted in the issuance of a certificate from the OPSB. In addition to the regulatory work, the firm served as Ohio counsel responsible for assisting with a closing in excess of $890 million of debt and equity financing for the construction of the project. This transaction involved extensive counsel on real estate, environmental and tax issues, including: real estate due diligence; title curative work; property acquisition and easement negotiations; document preparation; and work with lenders, equity investors, oil and gas companies, and the title insurer on title commitment and title insurance policy matters. Bricker continues to serve as Ohio counsel on the project, providing advice on all state regulatory, environmental and real estate matters.
Professional & Community Activities
- Advisory Board Member, Institute for Energy Law
- Member, Women's Energy Network
- Environmental Law Committee Chair, Columbus Bar Association, 2018-2019
- University of Michigan Alumni Club of Central Ohio, Member, 2012-present
- Energy, Environment, and Natural Resources Seminar Co-Chair, Ohio State Bar Association, 2017
- Barrister Leadership Program Planning Committee Member, Columbus Bar Association, 2017
- Barrister Leadership Program, Columbus Bar Association, Class of 2016 Graduate
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, “Environmental Permitting Appeals and Pipeline Construction: Are the Circuit Courts the New Environmental Review Courts?,” Institute for Energy Law, June 2020
- Author, "US EPA Issues Temporary Enforcement Policy in Wake of COVID-19", Institute for Energy Law, Energy Law Advisor, Issue 2- May 2020
- Speaker, "Energy Infrastructure Development in the Great Lakes Region: Considerations and Trends," Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Environmental Conference, December 2018
- Presenter, “What to Do When the EPA Shows Up,” Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, 2018 Winter Municipal Civil Law Seminar
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Admitted, Southern District of Ohio, 2016
- Admitted, Northern District of Ohio, 2015
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2011
- Case Western Reserve University (J.D., cum laude, 2011); Publications Editor, Health Matrix: Journal of Law Medicine, 2010-2011
- University of Michigan (B.A. with distinction in History and Spanish, 2007)