Desmond J. Cullimore, P.E., BCEE
Desmond Cullimore is a construction attorney who has practical experience in construction, having worked as a contractor before becoming a professional engineer. Desmond has more than 11 years of experience in the field of civil and environmental engineering prior to becoming an attorney, serving as an engineering consultant to public owners, an engineer and project manager for large scale construction projects, and an engineering manager for a public utility.
Desmond has worked with both public owners and residential and commercial developers on complex development projects as both an engineer and an attorney in the planning, engineering, and construction of public capital improvements for buildings, water systems, wastewater systems, storm sewer systems, public buildings and closed landfills.
Desmond is also a Board Certified Environmental Engineer, and holds a Class 3 wastewater treatment operator certification. Desmond works with engineers and architects, construction managers, contractors, and public and private owners on all phases of a construction project. Desmond's legal experience includes litigation, alternative dispute resolution, and transactional law related to contracting, construction manager at-risk and design build project delivery methods, competitive bidding, prevailing wage, mechanics' liens, warranties, defective design and construction, and environmental matters.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Academy of Environmental Engineers
- Member, Water Environment Federation
- Member, Ohio Water Environment Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Bethel Commons Condominiums, 2007-2010
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Engineering Ethics," Franklin County Chapter of Ohio Society of Professional Engineers, November 2018
- Speaker, "Strategies for Dealing with Claims - Project Documentation; Specific Claims - Lien & Bond Claims and Errors & Omissions," 16th Annual Top Gun Construction Claims Seminar
- Speaker, "Engineering Ethics," APWA Engineering Ethics, September 2018
- Speaker, "Resources for Hiring Outside Professionals," Ohio GFOA Annual Conference, September 2018
- Speaker, "Engineering Ethics," American Public Works, September 2018
- Speaker, "Construction," Ohio Association for Career and Technical Education (OACTE) 2018 Connections to Education Conference, July 2018
- Speaker, "The Bid Review Process - Evaluating and Documenting the Process, Bidder Protests, and Litigation," 10th Annual Selecting Project Delivery Methods & Bidding Public Construction Contracts, May 2018
- Speaker, "Engineering Ethics," Franklin County Chapter of Ohio Society of Professional Engineers, April 2018
- Speaker, "Property Tax Revenue for School Districts," BASA and OASBO Webinar: The Financial Impact of Ohio's Pipelines, April 2018
- Speaker, "Design Build - Construction Management at Risk," OWEA One Water Government & Regulatory Affairs Workshop, March 2018
- Speaker, OML Newly Elected Council Seminar, February 2018
- Speaker, "What to Do If the Roof Leaks and Other Project Claims; Real Property Issues for Schools," BASA School Facilities & Safety Conference and Expo, February 2018
- Speaker, "Construction Management - Retaining and OFCC Close Out," OASBO Hot Topics, January 2018
- Speaker, " Construction Problems," OASBO Facility Masters Conference, December 2017
- Speaker, "An Independent Overview of the Rules for Professional Engineers, Continuing Education and Surviving an Audit," OWEA Ethics & Rules Mini Workshop, November 2017
- Speaker, "Strategies for Dealing with Claims - Project Schedule; Specific Claims - Lien & Bond Claims and Errors & Omissions," 15th Annual Top Gun Construction Claims Seminar, October 2017
- Speaker, "ESC Facilities Workshop," Ohio Educational Service Center Association (OESCA), June 2017
- Speaker, "The Bid Review Process - Evaluating and Documenting the Process, Bidder Protests and Litigation," 9th Annual Selecting Project Delivery Methods & Bidding Public Construction Contracts, May 2017
- Speaker, "Pay Applications," Construction Topics for Public Owners: Pay Applications - Utilizing Retainage and the Surety Bond, April 2017
- Speaker, "School Procurement and Construction Issues – Quick Hits," BASA School Facilities and Safety Conference, March 2017
- Speaker, "Construction Considerations," Sinclair Community College Education Law Seminar, February 2017
- Capital University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2011) Order of the Curia
- Syracuse University (B.S., Environmental Engineering)
- The Ohio State University (Non-degree Graduate Coursework, Environmental Engineering)
- Thursday, May 7, 2020
- 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM
- The Conference Center at OCLC
Mechanic's liens statutory process and claims
Represented school district in administration of statutory process relating to mechanic’s liens and addressed mechanics’ lien claims and related law suits for K-12 school projects.
Wastewater treatment entities
Provided outside legal consulting services and prepared wastewater bid packages and contract documents for Ohio's three largest wastewater treatment providers.
Represented a school district client to address defective work.