Doug Shevelow, P.E.
Doug Shevelow’s practice includes litigation and transactional law pertaining to heavy/highway and other construction issues for owners and contractors. Issues include differing site conditions, implied warranty of plans and specifications, underground utility protection, and bid disputes. He has prepared and negotiated numerous design-bid-build and design-build construction contracts for contractors and public and private owners, including a $320 million hospital project, a $28 million wastewater treatment plant rehabilitation, and a $400,000 skate park. He also serves as a mediator in construction matters, and has conducted numerous bench and jury trials arising out of construction defects, design defects, and contractor claims for additional payment. Doug has successfully represented construction project owners in claims against architects, design-builders, general contractors and construction managers in claims regarding faulty design and construction.
Doug also has significant experience representing clients against citations issued by OSHA and asserting defenses such as employee misconduct, inapplicability of the cited standard, greater hazard, and non-exposure to the hazard.
Doug is a registered professional engineer in the State of Ohio, having practiced engineering for over twelve years before becoming an attorney. This background helps him quickly understand the sorts of technical issues that often arise while practicing construction law.
"Doug represents owners and contractors in connection with a broad range of construction disputes and transactional matters, such as the negotiation of design-build agreements. Interviewees consider him to be "a pragmatic lawyer with good judgment.""
"Our companies have used Bricker & Eckler for several years and continue to be very pleased with the aggressive nature in which they pursue a successful outcome. Doug Shevelow is our primary counsel. We have found his engineering degree and previous construction industry experience provides a significant advantage in reducing the learning curve associated with our legal issues."
"Doug Shevelow is an "excellent lawyer" who commands "a lot of respect." He is "practical, smart, thoughtful and efficient.""
Wastewater treatment equipment issue
Represented a city against an international manufacturer of large-scale wastewater treatment equipment when a tertiary filter did not meet performance expectations. Represented another city in a lawsuit against a manufacturer of coarse wastewater filtering system.
Defective sanitary sewer construction
Represented three different counties against defunct sewer contractors and their sureties, leading to settlements of $1 million, $3.5 million and $5.0 million because of defective and incomplete work.
Surface water treatment plant delay
Represented a public owner in a lawsuit against a contractor when a $14 million surface water treatment plant was delivered over a year late and the contractor made claims for additional payment.
Delay claims on highway service plaza construction
Represented a heavy/highway contractor against a highway authority in connection with delay claims on the construction of a service plaza.
Regional lift station construction
Represented a developer in trial against a municipality regarding adequacy of design and construction of a regional wastewater lift station.
Representing one of the largest U.S. engineering firms against claims arising out of damages to fiber optic cable during construction of highway interchange.
Represented a self-insured general contractor in a workers' compensation subrogation against a subcontractor responsible for an accident that caused death of an employee on a bridge construction project.
Upland reservoir construction
Represented a city against a contractor’s claims of differing site conditions and defective plans on an upland reservoir that covered 100 acres.
$1.3 billion health system construction projects
Advise and assist Indiana's largest private, not-for-profit health system with three projects that are among the largest construction projects the system has ever undertaken, with total costs expected to exceed $1.3 billion over several years. The first project involves construction of a new campus location in the downtown area. The second project involves a new facility on a university campus. The third project involves renovating 150,000 square feet of the vacated children’s hospital to create a maternity hospital. Bricker’s role is to provide the legal services specific to the construction of health care facilities, while Indiana co-counsel is expected to provide more general construction advice.
International manufacturer facility in central Ohio (construction counsel)
Retained by an Italian-based company to serve as construction counsel for a 1.4 million-square-foot manufacturing facility in central Ohio. The project included a combination of fast track, construction manager at risk, and design/build delivery.
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, "Using Term Agreements to Simplify & Streamline Construction Procurement," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Speaker, "Road Use Maintenance Agreements (RUMAs)," The Acronyms of Oil and Gas Law, Columbus Bar Association, September 2017
- Speaker, "Risk Management in Health Care Construction," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, “Sole Source Procurement in Treatment Plant Construction,” CCAO/CEAO Annual Winter Conference, December 5, 2016
- Speaker, “Road Use Maintenance Agreements,” Ohio Township Association Township Law Directors’ Group Meeting, December 2, 2016
- Speaker, seminars sponsored by Bricker & Eckler and other organizations, including Ohio Contractors Association, Ohio Sanitary Engineers Association, County Commissioners’ Association of Ohio, Ohio Society of Professional Engineers, Engineers Foundation of Ohio, Construction Standards Institute, United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development, Professional Land Surveyors of Ohio, and Central Ohio Organization of Public Purchasers.
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Columbus Bar Association; American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Construction Law), 2014–2022
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Construction with a Band 3 ranking, 2021; Band 4 ranking, 2015–2020
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Construction Litigation: Business; Environmental), 2017–2021
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2012–2014
- Listed, Legal 500
- Recognized, The Ohio Society of Professional Engineers for achieving the highest grade in the state on the 1994 Environmental Engineering Examination for Professional Engineers
- Capital University (J.D., summa cum laude, 2004); Order of the Curia
- The Ohio State University (B.S., Civil Engineering, 1990)
Distinguishing between enforceable and unenforceable arbitration language in Ohio home construction contractsMore
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Bricker attorneys listed by Super Lawyers for 2020
The 2020 Super Lawyers list of outstanding lawyers includes 31 Bricker attorneys, representing four of the firm’s office locations and 13 areas of practice. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys, and three attorneys were named to “Top Lists” for Ohio.More Nov 27, 2019
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Continuing the firm’s trend of excellence and distinction, 43 Bricker & Eckler attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers list. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys. Additionally, four attorneys were named to “Top Lists” in Ohio.More Dec 15, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016