Elizabeth A. Kastner
"'I often reach out to [Beth] with highly technical questions that need immediate response and she always delivers.'"
"Elizabeth Kastner is ‘amazing in the hospital work space.’"
"Elizabeth Kastner acts for a wide range of healthcare sector clients and is especially knowledgeable handling regulatory compliance and governance matters."
Health system OCR investigation
Assisted health system to respond to OCR investigation, which investigation followed a breach of unsecured patient information. Investigation concluded without ORC finding any violations of the HIPAA rules.
Clinical research informed consent
Advise a health system-affiliated IRB on requirements for obtaining informed consent from research subjects.
Clinical trial compensation arrangements
Advise health care system affiliated IRB on fraud and abuse considerations when structuring compensation arrangements with principal investigators.
College/health system collaboration
Structured an arrangement between a large health system and a university for the health system to provide various health care and ancillary services to the college’s student and employee populations. Advised on real estate, corporate, health care and education law issues.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Law Association
- Member, Health Care Compliance Association
- Board Chair, St. Vincent Family Center (Executive Committee; Compliance Committee)
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "The Stark Law: Latest and Greatest," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Speaker, "New Stark and Anti-Kickback Rules – Exploring the Major Changes," OSHRM/SOHA Spring Conference, March 2021
- Speaker, "How the Menorah Park Decision Changes How Hospitals Disclose Patient Information," OSHRM/SOHA Spring Conference, March 2021
- Speaker, "Post-Pandemic Legal Issues for Hospitals," Ohio Hospital Association Webinar, October 2020
- Speaker, "Stark Blanket Waivers and Anti-Kickback Compliance in a COVID-19 World," Ohio Hospital Association Webinar, October 2020
- Speaker, " Balancing Opportunity, Innovation, and Risk: Changes on the Horizon for Medicare Advantage and Part D in 2020," AHLA Health Plan Law and Compliance Institute, November 2019
- Speaker, "Patient Privacy and Security in the Hospitals – Compliance Hot Topics," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Speaker, "Relationships with Hospitals: Compliance Pitfalls and Opportunities for Collaboration," Ohio Council for Homecare and Hospice, October 16, 2018
- Speaker, “Relationships with Post-Acute Care Providers – Compliance Pitfalls and Opportunities for Collaboration,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, “Law Enforcement at the Hospital: Managing Body Cameras and Other Privacy Issues,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, "Healthcare Legal Hot Topics," OSHRM/SOHA Spring Conference, September 2018
- Speaker, "Overlooked HIPAA Risk Areas and Trends in Enforcement Actions," OSHRM/SOHA Fall Conference, September 2017
- Author, "Hidden HIPAA - Easy to Overlook Risk Areas," American Health Lawyers Association, June 2017
- Author, "Medical Records Access: Are you following the rules?," Compliance Today, Health Care Compliance Association, October 2016
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2001
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Health Care with a Band 3 ranking, 2015–2021
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Corporate Law; Health Care Law), 2017–2021
- Ohio Most Powerful and Influential Women Award, Ohio Diversity Council, 2015
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2012–2013
- Outstanding Young Healthcare Lawyer, Nightingale's Healthcare News, 2009
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.), 2001; Managing Editor, The Ohio State Law Journal
- Indiana University Bloomington (B.A. in Criminal Justice and Political Science), 1998; Phi Beta Kappa
CMS and OIG finalize major changes to Stark and Anti-Kickback regulations: What health care entities need to knowMore
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Bricker’s Cincinnati and Columbus offices acquire high-profile health care attorneys
The state’s leading health care law firm just attracted some outstanding talent to strengthen its bench. Catherine Dunlay and Elizabeth Kastner, two of Ohio’s most accomplished health care attorneys, have joined Bricker & Eckler LLP as partners in the firm’s Health Care group. Cathy will practice in Bricker’s downtown Cincinnati office, and Beth will practice in the firm’s Columbus office.More Jan 18, 2017