Elyse H. Akhbari
With extensive experience with governmental authorities and regulatory agencies, Elyse Akhbari’s litigation practice focuses on environmental and energy law. As a former Assistant Attorney General in the Ohio Attorney General’s Environmental Enforcement Section, Elyse interprets and provides practical advice on governmental regulations and, specifically, possesses a deep understanding of the Clean Water Act, Solid and Hazardous Waste laws and CERCLA. Her skills include first chair trial and hearing experience, client counseling, work with expert witnesses, discovery and settlement negotiations.
Elyse has been involved in major federal litigation, as well as appearing in numerous courts of common pleas. She has also been involved with the production of a chapter on energy incentives for the Ohio Attorney General’s Handbook on Economic Development. Additionally, she formerly served as a judicial law clerk to Hon. Michael J. Newman in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio and held positions with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 3 Office of Regional Counsel and the Ohio EPA.
Landfill clean-up litigation
Serve as litigation counsel for the Dayton Power & Light Company relating to a clean-up of an old landfill pursuant to the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA). Clean-up at the site could exceed $100 million, involves dozens of parties and has a long procedural history.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Women's Energy Network
- DART Alumni Program, Denison University
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Energy Infrastructure Development in the Great Lakes Region: Considerations and Trends," Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Environmental Conference, December 2018
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2013
- Admitted, Southern District of Ohio, 2014
- Admitted, Northern District of Ohio, 2014
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Ohio’s Women’s Bar Association (former co-chair of the Government Subcommittee; Mentoring Program leader)
- Member, Columbus Bar Association (Environmental Law Committee)
- Member, Federal Bar Association, Columbus Chapter
Awards & Recognition
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Environmental), 2020
- The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2013); Public Service award recipient; Managing Editor, Journal of Dispute Resolution; Trained Mediator, Franklin County Small Claims Court
- Denison University (B.A., political science and religion, cum laude, 2009); Dunbar Scholarship; Mortar Board; Honors program graduate
Bricker attorneys listed by Super Lawyers for 2020
The 2020 Super Lawyers list of outstanding lawyers includes 31 Bricker attorneys, representing four of the firm’s office locations and 13 areas of practice. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys, and three attorneys were named to “Top Lists” for Ohio.More Nov 27, 2019