Jacquelin R. Lewis
In addition to her work in the bond financing space, Jackie works with public and private clients to negotiate economic development incentives and establish economic development programs, such as tax increment financing (TIF), new community authorities (NCAs), and community reinvestment areas (CRAs).
Jacquelin is the former Director of Public Affairs for the Ohio Association of Community Colleges. She has also served as legislative liaison to former Ohio Treasurer of State and former Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray and as a legislative aide in both chambers of the Ohio General Assembly.
$120 million mixed-use development project
Successfully led the closing of a mixed-use public-private development project in downtown Columbus, Ohio. Served multiple roles in the project’s financing, including as bond counsel to the developer, commercial loan bank representative and legal counsel for PACE financing.
Security of school bonds
Assisted an Ohio school district in the issuance of bonds in which the perceived security for the bonds was threatened by the financial woes of the county’s largest employer and taxpayer. Interdisciplinary approach provided timely and critical information to the bond rating agency and investors regarding how oil and gas leases and mineral rights are valued for property tax purposes and the potential impact of a bankruptcy filing on the payment of property taxes for the bonds.
Oil and gas transactional assistance
Provided representation to a bank trustee controlling nearly 4,000 acres of mineral rights in eastern Ohio. Beginning with the negotiation of an above-market-value oil and gas lease, which resulted in an initial payment to the trust of tens of millions of dollars, we provided related legal services, including the completion of title curative work, lease maintenance activities and the negotiation of ancillary agreements.
Professional & Community Activities
- Board Member, Affordable Housing Trust for Columbus and Franklin County
- Board Member, Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority
- Member, Twin Rivers Ohio Chapter of The Links Incorporated
- Former Board Member and Volunteer, John Mercer Langston Bar Association
- Former Board Member, Columbus Urban League Young Professionals
- Former Volunteer, Dress For Success Columbus
- Former Mock Trial Judge, Law and Leadership Institute
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, “Principles of Public Finance: Special Purpose Money and the Pipeline Valuation Saga,” Ohio Association of Public Treasurer Conference, June 2021
- Presenter, “Levy Planning: Process, Pitfalls and Options,” Ohio Association of School Business Officials Annual Conference, April 2021
- Presenter, “2020 K-12 School Finance Hot Topics,” Ohio Association of School Business Officials Fall School Finance Workshop, September 2020
- Presenter, “Developing Property for Economic Growth,” Bricker & Eckler Webinar, September 2020
- Presenter, “Capital Planning: A Story of Debt, Uncertainties and the Importance of Fiscal Policies,” Ohio Auditor of State's Local Government Officials' Conference, March 2019
- Presenter, "Debt Management: Understanding Debt Options for Ohio Political Subdivisions," Ohio Association of Public Treasurers Public Finance Officer Training Institute, June 2018
- Presenter, “Fundamentals of Debt,” Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association’s Annual Presidents' Day Seminar, February 2018
- Presenter, “Financing Options for Schools,” Education Law Seminar, Topgolf, West Chester, Ohio, October 2017
- Presenter, "Fiscal Caution, Watch, Emergency - Is Anybody There?," Ohio Association of School Business Officials, April 2017
- Co-presenter, "Local Government Fiscal Emergency,” Ohio Association of Public Treasurers Annual Conference, August 2016
- Co-author, "Local Government Fiscal Emergency,” August 2016
- Co-presenter, "Local Government Fiscal Emergency,” Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association Summer Workshop, June 2016
- Co-author, "School District Fiscal Emergency,” June 2016
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2014)
- The Ohio State University John Glenn School of Public Affairs (M.A., 2014)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., International Relations and French)
Bricker Public Finance team assists Columbus on $188 million refunding
The City of Columbus recently went to market with $188 million of general obligation refunding bonds. Proceeds from the sale of the bonds will be used to defease debt previously issued by the City for various municipal purposes. Bricker Public Finance attorneys Price Finley and Jackie Lewis are assisting the City as bond counsel on the refunding that was featured in the Bond Buyer.More Nov 9, 2017