In 2017, my wife and I and our four kids celebrated together the renewal of our vows on the 25th anniversary of our wedding day. My bride went to law school at Notre Dame with me, and I am an infinitely better person because of the day that she and I met — either on the flag football field of a law school intramural football game or the law school chapel, depending on which version of the story you want to believe.
Jim Flynn is Bricker & Eckler's Managing Partner and chair of the firm's Health Care industry group. He has been with the firm since he started practicing law in 1990. His practice is focused on board governance, executive compensation, transactions and health care law.
Jim has earned a statewide and national reputation as a leading legal advisor in health care law. He has extensive experience counseling clients on matters relating to transactional, regulatory and governance matters, specifically relating to mergers and acquisitions, board governance, executive compensation, public-private partnerships, reimbursement, health planning and long-term care.
As Managing Partner, Jim leads the firm’s executive committee, develops and implements the firm’s strategic initiatives, and oversees the day-to-day operations led by the firm’s COO, Chief DEI Officer and operations team. Passionate about moving the needle on diversity and inclusion efforts in the legal profession, Jim is actively engaged within the Leadership Council for Legal Diversity, The Diversity Lab’s Mansfield Rule certification process, the Columbus Bar Association’s Managing Partner Diversity Initiative and Gender Equity in the Legal Industry (GELI) efforts and programs, as well as many firm and community activities. Jim is also active in the recruitment and development of talent for the firm. His notable leadership accomplishments include:
- Addition and hiring of new Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer
- Expanded geographic footprint of the firm
- Implementation of Mansfield Rule certification
- Leadership development training, both internally and in partnership with other organizations
- Guiding the firm’s business operations during the COVID-19 pandemic
"Flynn is a true resource and expert in the field of health care law. Additionally, he is well-versed and connected in the industry. The knowledge and contacts allow dynamic input and involvement from many different perspectives. Jim is timely, effective and collaborative."
"Jim consistently demonstrates leadership and exceptional health law skills, while maintaining a supportive focus on clients. I would trust Jim with the most critical and sensitive matters."
"Jim takes the time to understand us, what we want and how we do business. He is extremely effective, no matter what our request. His responses are always timely and on target."
Development of long-term incentive plan for non-profit
While Long-Term Incentive Plans have been used by for-profit businesses for many years, non-profit businesses are beginning to incorporate them also. Collaborated with nonprofit client to develop a new program customized to the mission and goals of that organization.
Conversion of public hospital and affiliation with large health care system
Advised a government-owned hospital and worked with elected officials to convert a public hospital into a nonprofit business and large health care system affiliate. The transaction involved unique and negotiated features necessary to satisfy elected officials’ priorities, the community’s needs for local health care access, and the opportunities and efficiencies available through affiliation with a sophisticated tertiary care system.
Board governance project
Actively engaged and helped lead the effort to significantly update and modify the governance structure for a large nonprofit organization.
Amicus in support of HHS interpretive rule
Prepared an amicus brief on behalf of the American Hospital Association in support of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) interpretive rule providing guidance on the scope of the exclusion of orphan drugs from 340B discounts.
Public records disclosures
Advise public hospitals regarding responses to requests for a large number of public records.
Medicare reimbursement matters
Represent large teaching hospitals and other non-teaching hospitals on Medicare reimbursement matters and cost report appeals, which include appeals of administrative agency decisions and various court appearances.
Medicare reimbursement underpayment settlement
Negotiated a settlement of Medicare reimbursement underpayments with the federal government on behalf of two large health systems.
Electronic health records
Serve as counsel to the Ohio Health Information Partnership and assist with all aspects of its operation of a health information exchange (CliniSync).
Professional & Community Activities
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2018–present
- Ohio Business Roundtable, 2018-present
- One Columbus Leadership Circle, 2019-present
- Harry C. Moores Foundation Trustee, 2018-present
- LawVision Managing Partner Roundtable, 2018-present
- American Health Law Association: Board of Directors, 2015–2021; Executive Committee, 2019–2021; Chair of Education Committee, 2019–2021; Chair of Regulation, Accreditation and Payment Practice Group, 2013–2015; Vice Chair, 2006–2013
- Cristo Rey Columbus High School Professional Work Study Program, 2013-2020
- Society of Ohio Hospital Attorneys, 2002-present
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2007 graduate
- Columbus Christmas in April (now known as "Modcon Living") co-founder and past president, 1990-1999
- Alzheimer's Association of Central Ohio Board Member, President and Treasurer, 2000-2011
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, multiple Board retreats and governance training (e.g., “ Governance Do’s and Don’ts and Best Practices”, January, 2021
- Author, "2020—The Year to Invest in Your Professional Self," AHLA Connections, December 2019
- Speaker, "Fundamentals of Medicare Parts A and B," American Health Lawyers Association Fundamentals of Health Law, November 2019.
- Speaker, “The Health Care Industry is Transforming One Deal at a Time: What You Need to Know to Prepare and Respond,” American Health Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Speaker, “Fusion Reaction: Political, Business, and Legal Realities Collide for Hospital Partnering opportunities,” American Health Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, "What the Settlements, Cases and Investigations Teach Us," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, "Compliance in the Post-Acute Care Environment," Ohio Health Information Management Association, March 2017
- Speaker, “Meaningful Use Payment and Audit Issues in 2016,” American Health Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, April 2016
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, Supreme Court of Ohio
- Admitted, Supreme Court of the United States of America
- Admitted, United States District Courts for Southern District of Ohio, the Northern District of Ohio and the District of Columbia
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the Seventh Circuit and the District of Columbia
- Member, Columbus Bar Association; Admissions Committee, 2005–present; Managing Partner Diversity Initiative, 2018–present
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2001–2022
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Health Care with a Band 1 ranking, 2013–2021; Band 2 ranking, 2012
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2004, 2007–2021; Top 5 Columbus, 2013; Top 50 Columbus, 2010–2015; Top 100 Columbus, 2009–2014
- Listed, Client Service All-Stars, BTI Consulting Group, 2019–2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Lawyer of the Year (Health Care Law), 2015, 2018
- Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- University of Notre Dame (J.D.), 1990
- University of Notre Dame (B.A.), 1987
- Two transactions involving a public hospital combining with a private hospital
- Development of executive compensation packages for CEOs and other executives
- Development of a long-term incentive plan for a non-profit organization
- Updates and enhancements to corporate governance documents, including incorporation of environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles
Family has always been the center of my life, and our four kids have made it both insane and wildly rewarding. My oldest daughter is in college, my son is heading to college soon, and my twin girls (yes, they are twins) are nearing high school. They are fun, funny, smart and athletic and keep us constantly on our toes.
Internal talent development and succession planning guide Bricker leadership transition, Shipley and Jester promotions
Spotlighting the positive impact of the firm’s investment into its leadership development programs and preparations, Bricker & Eckler filled two executive-level positions with internal candidates.More May 26, 2020
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Bricker attorneys listed by Super Lawyers for 2020
The 2020 Super Lawyers list of outstanding lawyers includes 31 Bricker attorneys, representing four of the firm’s office locations and 13 areas of practice. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys, and three attorneys were named to “Top Lists” for Ohio.More Nov 27, 2019
New Chief Business Development Officer TaKeysha Sheppard joins Bricker & Eckler
TaKeysha Sheppard has joined the law firm of Bricker & Eckler LLP as Chief Business Development Officer. Stepping into a reinvented role for the firm, TaKeysha will assist in building business connections and fostering client relationships.More Oct 28, 2019
Columbus CEO spotlights recent renovations to Bricker’s Columbus office
Bricker & Eckler LLP recently underwent a large-scale renovation to its Columbus office location to adapt to changes in technology and client interaction. Following completion of the renovation, and unveiling to Columbus attorneys and staff, Columbus CEO toured the new space.More Nov 6, 2017
Jim Flynn discusses the future of health care post-Obamacare
Despite the recency of presidential transition, changes are already being felt across many of America’s industries – including health care. While campaigning, Trump vowed to repeal the Affordable Care Act (also known as “Obamacare”) and fix the country’s health insurance challenges. What does this mean for health insurers? Hospitals? Patients? Columbus Business First consulted Bricker attorney Jim Flynn for answers to these important questions.More Feb 8, 2017
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Continuing the firm’s trend of excellence and distinction, 43 Bricker & Eckler attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers list. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys. Additionally, four attorneys were named to “Top Lists” in Ohio.More Dec 15, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016