James G. Petrie
Jim Petrie is chair of Bricker & Eckler's Employment & Labor group with a practice emphasizing employment-related disputes and litigation, including allegations of race, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion and/or political discrimination or harassment, intentional torts, intentional infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract or implied/quasi-contract under federal and state law, wrongful termination in violation of public policy, and alleged violations of ERISA.
Jim advises clients on labor and employment issues, including issues arising under ADA, ADEA, OWBPA, FMLA, FLSA, Title VII, Fair Credit Reporting Act, USERRA, NLRA, Executive Order No. 11246 and state employment laws. He is experienced in drafting employment agreements, separation agreements, independent contractor agreements, releases, non-compete/non-solicitation agreements, affirmative action plans, and employee handbooks, policies and procedures. He practices in federal and state courts and courts of appeals and before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and the State Personnel Board of Review.
His practice also includes mediating and negotiating settlements of claims against employers, advising clients on day-to-day employment issues; providing employment law training to corporations; and conducting presentations and authoring articles regarding new developments in employment law. Jim is former chairman of the firm's recruiting committee.
In addition, Jim represents employers as defense counsel approved by Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) and Directors and Officers Liability Insurance (D&O) carriers.
"James Petrie "is both an excellent legal adviser and a practical thinker. He is strategic in thinking through how people will respond and being prepared for their responses.""
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Ohio Management Lawyers Association
- Board Member, Greater Columbus Habitat for Humanity
- Former Board Chairman, Mohun Health Care Center
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Revisiting #MeToo Movement's Impact on Hospitals," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Speaker, "#MeToo: Preventing Harassment and Investigating Harassment Complaints," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Frequent lecturer on social media legal issues and other employment law topics
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Columbus Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Employment Law - Individuals; Employment Law - Management; Labor Law - Management; Litigation - Labor and Employment), 2012–2020
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Labor & Employment with a Band 3 ranking, 2013–2019
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Employment & Labor: Employer), 2009–2019
- Listed, Top 50 Columbus, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2015, 2017–2018
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers In America (Employment Law - Individuals), 2015
- Recipient, Client Choice Award, The International Law Office and Lexology, 2013
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Employment & Labor), 2005–2006
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.), 1992
- Miami University (B.A. with honors), 1988; Phi Beta Kappa
Sixth Circuit clarifies how to establish a “regarded as” ADA claim and revives former employee’s suit with “smoking gun” emailMore
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Continuing the firm’s trend of excellence and distinction, 43 Bricker & Eckler attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers list. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys. Additionally, four attorneys were named to “Top Lists” in Ohio.More Dec 15, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016