Javan A. Kline
Javan Kline represents businesses and individuals on sophisticated tax and corporate matters.
Javan advises clients on a wide variety of federal, state, and local tax matters including income tax, corporate tax, partnership tax, S Corporation tax, and tax-exempt matters. Javan advises clients on tax considerations that arise in various business contexts, including entity formations, ownership structures, restructurings, business succession, mergers & acquisitions, and business exits. He also represents clients in tax controversies before the Internal Revenue Service, the Ohio Department of Taxation, and other taxing authorities.
Additionally, Javan counsels business clients on a variety of corporate and transactional matters, including business formations, corporate governance, contract negotiations, restructurings, mergers & acquisitions, and business exits. He also acts as outside general counsel to closely-held businesses.
An adjunct instructor at the University of Cincinnati, Javan currently teaches tax courses in UC’s business school.
Multi-state mortgage lender acquisition transaction closing
Closed complex transaction spanning over a nine-month time period, involving the acquisition by client purchaser of a regulated multi-state mortgage lender, including negotiation and completion of a $10 million subordinated debt facility, a $17 million securities offering to investors in over 20 states, structuring the acquisition transaction and roll-over of equity and several other related joint venture transactions.
Professional & Community Activities
- Head Coach, Indian Hill Youth Baseball, 2021
- Representative, Financial Executives International (FEI) Cincinnati Chapter, 2021
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) Cincinnati, 2021
- Member, Notre Dame Club of Greater Cincinnati, 2021
- Mentor, University of Cincinnati College of Law Catalyst Program, 2012
- Member, Leadership Warren County, Class of 2011
Presentations & Published Works
- Author, “Universities and Joint Ventures: Navigating the Rules with Examples,” Taxation of Exempts, September/October 2020
- Speaker, “Business Tax Issues,” UC Income Tax Conference, 2020
- Speaker, “Ohio CAT…Common Audit Issues…,” Ohio Tax Conference, 2017
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2005
Awards & Recognition
- Recipient, Outstanding Adjunct Teaching in Accounting Award, University of Cincinnati Lindner College of Business, 2021
- Georgetown University Law Center (Executive LL.M. in Taxation), June 2020; Distinction; Achieved highest academic average in graduating class
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (J.D.), 2005
- University of Notre Dame (B.B.A., Finance), 2000