Jeremy R. Morris
Jeremy has considerable experience advising clients on how federal and state antitrust laws impact business, especially in the health care industry. Jeremy focuses on providing practical, solution-oriented advice that helps clients achieve business goals. He has provided guidance to clients regarding antitrust issues that arise in the context of mergers, joint ventures and provider integration. He has also assisted clients with Hart-Scott-Rodino filings, designing FTC-compliant provider networks, development of structural and operational safeguards to assist clients in avoiding antitrust issues, and defending clients from government antitrust investigations.
Jeremy regularly assists hospitals and other health care providers in a variety of operational, transactional and regulatory matters, focusing on medical staff, credentialing and peer review issues. He has significant experience advising physician leaders regarding corrective action investigations, fair hearings and the development of effective peer review processes.
Jeremy previously served as in-house counsel at a tertiary care, regional referral center in northern Kentucky. In that role, he gained substantial experience in day-to-day hospital operations that he now utilizes to assist his clients.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association (Medical Staff, Peer Review, and Credentialing Practice Group; Antitrust Practice Group; and Regulation, Accreditation, and Payment Practice Group)
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Reporting Obligations: The Proverbial Dirty Laundry," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, "Who Gets What and Why," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, "Triage: What is the Best Way to Address Practitioner Concerns?," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, "The Value of a Practitioner Effectiveness Committee," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Co-Presenter, “Do You Understand Ohio’s Peer Review Privilege,” Ohio Association for Healthcare Quality Annual Conference, May 2017
- Speaker, "The U.S. Department of Justice blocks proposed merger between Aetna, Inc., and Humana, Inc.", February 2017
- Co-presenter, “QMCG Medical Staff Leadership Series,” February 2017, February 2016, February 2015
- Co-presenter, “Who Gets What and Why,” National Association of Medical Staff Services Annual Conference, September 2016
- Co-presenter, “National Practitioner Data Bank,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2016
- Co-presenter, “Ensuring High Quality Care Through Multispecialty Peer Review,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2016
- Co-presenter, “Understanding the Difference Between Medical Necessity (Compliance) and Medical Staff Quality of Care Reviews,” Ohio Association for Healthcare Quality Annual Conference, May 2016
- Co-presenter, “Is this Incident Report Protected? . . . How ‘Bout Now?” Ohio Association for Healthcare Quality Annual Conference, May 2016
- Co-author, “Unified Medical Staffs Are Finally Permitted . . . Now What?” MedStaff News, a publication of the American Health Lawyers Association Medical Staff, Credentialing, and Peer Review Practice Group, November 2014
- Co-presenter, “Peer Review and the Hospital Employed Physician,” National Association of Medical Staff Services Annual Conference, October 2014
- Co-presenter, “Anatomy of a Fair Hearing,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2014
- Presenter, “Emerging Trends Affecting the Medical Staff Office,” Ohio Association of Medical Staff Services Spring Seminar, May 2014
- Contributing Author, "2013 Medicare HOPPS/ASC Final Rule," Member Briefing for the American Health Lawyers Association, March 2013
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Kentucky Bar Association
- Admitted, State of Ohio; State of Kentucky; United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio; Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Akron (J.D., magna cum laude, 2003); Text and Research Editor, Akron Law Review; Recipient, Board of Trustees Scholastic Achievement Scholarship
- Shawnee State University (B.A., Individualized Studies with a concentration in Health Care Management, summa cum laude, 2000); Recipient, Academic Excellence Scholarship
Peer review process
Developed a peer review process for physicians employed by hospital-affiliated entities and created documents that permitted the sharing of peer review information between the hospital and the affiliated entity.
Peer review consultant to a hospital pursuant to a corporate integrity agreement.
Medicare reimbursement underpayment settlement
Negotiated a settlement of Medicare reimbursement underpayments with the federal government on behalf of two large health systems.
Health care network
Provided ongoing antitrust advice in connection with the formation of a statewide network of six regional health care systems, which is one of the larger health care joint ventures in the country.
Hospital system arbitration
Represented a hospital system in multiple arbitration proceedings in a dispute with national payor relative to the implementation of sequestration cuts imposed following passage of the budget deficit reduction act.
County hospital affiliation
Represented a county hospital that became affiliated with a large health care system, obtaining all regulatory approvals, overseeing self-disclosure of potential Stark issues and assisting with the payoff of outstanding bonds.
Health system acquisition
Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.