Jeremy R. Morris
Jeremy has considerable experience advising clients on how federal and state antitrust laws impact business, especially in the health care industry. Jeremy focuses on providing practical, solution-oriented advice that helps clients achieve business goals. He has provided guidance to clients regarding antitrust issues that arise in the context of mergers, joint ventures and provider integration. He has also assisted clients with Hart-Scott-Rodino filings, designing FTC-compliant provider networks, development of structural and operational safeguards to assist clients in avoiding antitrust issues, and defending clients from government antitrust investigations.
Jeremy regularly provides guidance to hospitals and physician leaders across the spectrum of medical staff matters that include credentialing and privileging issues, the peer review process and quality improvement. He has significant experience advising hospitals on corrective action investigations, fair hearings and appeals. Jeremy’s experience with these issues also includes aiding clients in the development of effective peer review processes and preparation of medical staff documents. He also manages provider practice issues, including provider licensing.
Jeremy previously served as in-house counsel at a tertiary care, regional referral center in northern Kentucky. In that role, he gained substantial experience in day-to-day hospital operations that he now utilizes to assist his clients in a variety of operational, transactional and regulatory matters.
Health system and physician-owned hospital affiliation
Prepared several options for a health system and physician-owned surgical hospital to affiliate in a secondary market. Provided regulatory advice, including an analysis of potential Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute compliance issues, as well as antitrust and federal tax law advice.
Medical staff fair hearing
Represented a medical center in a fair hearing regarding the denial of a physician’s application for medical staff appointment and clinical privileges. We successfully convinced the hearing officer of the accuracy of the medical executive committee’s recommendation to deny the physician’s applications, given documented instances of substantial professional behavioral issues.
Sexual harassment and retaliation claims against a physician
Advised a hospital board of trustees regarding an investigation into the CEO’s handling of an employee’s sexual harassment and retaliation claims against a supervising physician. Negotiated transition package for the CEO and the removal of the accused physician from the hospital.
Peer review process
Developed a peer review process for physicians employed by hospital-affiliated entities and created documents that permitted the sharing of peer review information between the hospital and the affiliated entity.
Peer review consultant to a hospital pursuant to a corporate integrity agreement.
Medicare reimbursement underpayment settlement
Negotiated a settlement of Medicare reimbursement underpayments with the federal government on behalf of two large health systems.
Health care network
Provided ongoing antitrust advice in connection with the formation of a statewide network of six regional health care systems, which is one of the larger health care joint ventures in the country.
County hospital affiliation
Represented a county hospital that became affiliated with a large health care system, obtaining all regulatory approvals, overseeing self-disclosure of potential Stark issues and assisting with the payoff of outstanding bonds.
Hospital system arbitration
Represented a hospital system in multiple arbitration proceedings in a dispute with national payor relative to the implementation of sequestration cuts imposed following passage of the budget deficit reduction act.
Health system acquisition
Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Law Association (Medical Staff, Peer Review, and Credentialing Practice Group; Antitrust Practice Group; and Regulation, Accreditation, and Payment Practice Group)
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Triaging Practitioner Conduct Issues–Recognizing and Addressing Problematic Professional Behavior," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Speaker, "Who Wants to be a Corrective Action Extraordinaire?," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Speaker, "Who Wants to Be a Corrective Action Extraordinaire?," 44th NAMSS Educational Virtual Conference, October 2020
- Speaker, "Post-Pandemic Legal Issues for Hospitals," Ohio Hospital Association Webinar, October 2020
- Speaker, "Sharing Information About Problem Providers: Is The Benign Affiliation Letter Adequate?," Northeast Ohio Association Medical Staff Services Regional Conference, October 2019
- Speaker, "Sharing Information About Problem Providers: Is The Benign Affiliation Letter Adequate?," Southwest Ohio Association Medical Staff Services Regional Conference, August 2019
- Speaker, "Preparation and Pitfalls for a Fair Hearing," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Speaker, "#MeToo and Your Medical Staff: Handling Allegations of Misconduct," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Speaker, "Reporting Obligations: The Proverbial Dirty Laundry," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, "Who Gets What and Why," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, "Triage: What is the Best Way to Address Practitioner Concerns?," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, "The Value of a Practitioner Effectiveness Committee," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Co-Presenter, “Do You Understand Ohio’s Peer Review Privilege,” Ohio Association for Healthcare Quality Annual Conference, May 2017
- Speaker, "The U.S. Department of Justice blocks proposed merger between Aetna, Inc., and Humana, Inc.", February 2017
- Co-presenter, “QMCG Medical Staff Leadership Series,” February 2017, February 2016, February 2015
- Co-presenter, “Who Gets What and Why,” National Association of Medical Staff Services Annual Conference, September 2016
- Co-presenter, “National Practitioner Data Bank,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2016
- Co-presenter, “Ensuring High Quality Care Through Multispecialty Peer Review,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2016
- Co-presenter, “Understanding the Difference Between Medical Necessity (Compliance) and Medical Staff Quality of Care Reviews,” Ohio Association for Healthcare Quality Annual Conference, May 2016
- Co-presenter, “Is this Incident Report Protected? . . . How ‘Bout Now?” Ohio Association for Healthcare Quality Annual Conference, May 2016
- Co-author, “Unified Medical Staffs Are Finally Permitted . . . Now What?” MedStaff News, a publication of the American Health Lawyers Association Medical Staff, Credentialing, and Peer Review Practice Group, November 2014
- Co-presenter, “Peer Review and the Hospital Employed Physician,” National Association of Medical Staff Services Annual Conference, October 2014
- Co-presenter, “Anatomy of a Fair Hearing,” Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2014
- Presenter, “Emerging Trends Affecting the Medical Staff Office,” Ohio Association of Medical Staff Services Spring Seminar, May 2014
- Contributing Author, "2013 Medicare HOPPS/ASC Final Rule," Member Briefing for the American Health Lawyers Association, March 2013
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Kentucky Bar Association
- Admitted, State of Ohio; State of Kentucky; United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio; Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Akron (J.D., magna cum laude, 2003); Text and Research Editor, Akron Law Review; Recipient, Board of Trustees Scholastic Achievement Scholarship
- Shawnee State University (B.A., Individualized Studies with a concentration in Health Care Management, summa cum laude, 2000); Recipient, Academic Excellence Scholarship