Despite both Jessica and her husband being attorneys, there is no question that the boss in their house is their miniature schnauzer, Eliza. She wins every argument, every time.
Jessica Galanos is a former university administrator and litigator with experience in the areas of student affairs, student conduct, regulatory compliance and employment law. She regularly advises higher education clients on a variety of legal issues, drawing from her own experience working at a large public university and defending universities as a litigator in both the private and public sectors.
Jessica works with colleges and universities to comply with Title VII, Title IX, the Clery Act, and various other federal and state regulations. She routinely conducts impartial investigations, reviews policies and procedures, and advises higher education clients on how to avoid and navigate complex litigation matters. Jessica also has experience training administrators, staff and attorneys on how to address sexual misconduct matters.
Prior to joining Bricker & Eckler, Jessica served as an Assistant Director and Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Illinois State University, as an Assistant Attorney General in the Office of Attorney General for the State of Illinois, and as the Legislative Assistant Inspector General for the Office of Executive Inspector General for the Agencies of the Illinois Governor. Jessica has also represented clients in a variety of litigation matters while working at a private law firm in Springfield, Illinois.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2019
- Member, Board of Directors, Chatham Area Chamber of Commerce, 2016–2018
- Member, Governance Committee, Girls on the Run of Central Illinois, 2016–2018
- Volunteer, Take Your Child to Work Day Mock Trial, Central Illinois Women’s Bar Association, 2014–2018
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter and co-creator of Bricker & Eckler’s “Level Two: Higher Education Title IX Decision-Maker Training,” Summer 2020
- Presenter and co-creator of Bricker & Eckler’s “Level Two: Higher Education Title IX Coordinator Training,” Summer 2020
- Presenter and co-creator of Bricker & Eckler’s “Level One: Higher Education Annual Clery Training and Introduction to Title IX Basics,” Summer 2020
- Presenter, Bricker & Eckler’s “Level Two: Title IX Informal Resolution Officer Training,” Summer 2020
- Presenter, Bricker & Eckler’s “Level Two: Title IX Appeals Officer Training,” Summer 2020
- Presenter, Bricker & Eckler’s “Level Two: Title IX Investigator Training,” Summer 2020
- Presenter, “Higher Ed Webinar: Title IX Litigation Update,” May 2020
- Presenter, Concussion Litigation Update, Legal Issues and Student Affairs Drive-In Conference, February 2020
- Presenter, Title IX Investigator Training Workshop for College and University Administrators, January 2020
- Presenter, Title IX Hearing Officer Training Workshop, December 2019
- Presenter, Title IX Bootcamp presented by the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence, September 2019
- Presenter, “Legal Issues and Concerns,” Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio (AICUO) Executive Assistant Seminar, September 2019
- Presenter, “What You Missed This Summer” webinar, August 2019
- Presenter, “Technology in the Courtroom,” Medical Evidence for Lawyers Seminar, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2017
- Presenter, “Developments in Employment Law,” Central Illinois Chapter, Society of Human Resource Managers, 2017
- Presenter, “Employment Practices Liability Coverage: Addressing Employment-Based Claims,” Chicago, Chicago-Northwest and West Suburban Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter Chapters, 2017
- Presenter, “New Rules for Overtime,” Illinois Municipal League; Chatham Area Chamber of Commerce, 2016
- Presenter, “What to Do When You or Your Business Has Been Sued,” Chatham Area Chamber of Commerce, 2015
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2020
- Admitted, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2018
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2016
- Admitted, United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois, 2011
- Admitted, State of Illinois, 2008
- Admitted, United States District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2008
Awards & Recognition
- Emerging Lawyer, Leading Lawyers, 2017
- “Forty Under 40” honoree, Springfield Business Journal, 2016
- Southern Illinois University School of Law, (J.D., summa cum laude), 2008
- Southern Illinois University – Carbondale, (B.S. in Paralegal Studies, summa cum laude), 2003
An Illinois native, Jessica is a long-suffering Chicago Bears fan. She also enjoys fantasy football, though she rarely wins with that as well.