Karen D. Smith
Karen Smith has a general health care law practice emphasizing general corporate, federal and state regulatory issues, including Stark Law, fraud and abuse, HIPAA, Medicare and Medicaid provider enrollment issues, Medicare provider-based issues, Medicare/Medicaid compliance issues and physician contracting (employment, recruitment and services agreements).
She facilitates ongoing regulatory compliance with federal and state agencies, the Ohio Department of Health, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services; assists hospitals in drafting all forms of physician contracts, including recruitment services and employment contracts and advises them with respect to state and federal laws, including Stark Law and the fraud and abuse laws. Karen also advises hospitals with respect to HIPAA, Medicare and Medicaid provider enrollment issues, and Medicare provider based regulation.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association (Fraud & Abuse, Self Referrals and False Claims; Hospitals and Health Systems; Regulation, Accreditation and Payment)
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Physician Recruitment - Legal Updates You Should Know," Ohio Network of Physician Recruiters, March 2011
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2010–2020
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2009–2010, 2012–2014
- University of Cincinnati (J.D.): Order of the Coif
- The Ohio State University (M.S.)
- Ohio University (B.S., summa cum laude)
- Good Samaritan School of Nursing, Zanesville, Ohio (Diploma)
Proposed Rule Implementing Section 603 of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 Dashes Hospitals’ HopesMore
Budget Bill Blues: The reimbursement equalization of hospital off-campus provider-based locations and independent health care facilitiesMore
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016
Health system acquisition
Served as lead counsel in the acquisition of a nonprofit health system by a health corporation, negotiating the transaction, drafting all corporate documents, conducting due diligence review and completing all regulatory filings.
County hospital affiliation
Represented a county hospital that became affiliated with a large health care system, obtaining all regulatory approvals, overseeing self-disclosure of potential Stark issues and assisting with the payoff of outstanding bonds.