Kimberly S. Parks
Kim Parks applies her prior experience as a hospital general counsel to work with clients in the areas of medical staff governance; scope of practice matters regarding Advanced Practice Providers (APP), including but not limited to Advanced Practice Registered Nurses and Physician Assistants; Medicare conditions of participation; hospital accreditation standards (TJC, HFAP, DNV) and related health care clinical/patient care related legal matters.
Kim reviews, revises and develops medical staff governing documents and advises clients with respect to medical staff/APP credentialing, appointment and privileging practices consistent with applicable laws, rules, regulations, accreditation standards and industry best practices. She also advises on Medicare provider enrollment matters, telemedicine credentialing by proxy issues, physician/pharmacist consult agreements and related matters.
Medical staff bylaws and governing documents review
Reviewed the medical staff bylaws and governing documents of a hospital system with eleven hospital campuses to standardize the processes and bylaws language for credentialing, privileging, peer review and corrective action across the system, promoting clinical integration and consistent standards of care throughout the hospital system.
Medical staff bylaws overhaul
Redrafted a large hospital system’s medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations and organization manual, which contained the committee structure, sharing of information and peer review processes. The system’s medical staff documents and processes are now standardized, allowing for increased sharing of quality and performance data within the system and improved patient care.
Medical staff unification
Unified a health system’s three medical staffs to be in compliance with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service’ Conditions of Participation to create increased efficiencies within the system’s hospitals. Restructured the unified medical staff’s peer review process and rules and regulations.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys
Presentations & Published Works
- Panelist, "Credentialing/Quality Open Forum," Ohio Association of Medical Staff Services Conference, November 2019
- Speaker, "Things that Scare Us About Your Medical Staff Bylaws," 43rd NAMSS Educational Conference, October 2019
- Speaker, "Medical Staff Appointment & Privileging Options–Knowing What to Use When," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Speaker, "Things that Scare Us in your Medical Staff Bylaws," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 1996
- Capital University (J.D.), 1996; Order of the Curia
- The University of Dayton (M.A., Communications), 1989
- Wittenberg University (B.A., English), 1987