Lisa M. Kathumbi
Lisa Kathumbi represents and advises companies, ranging from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies, in a broad range of labor and employment matters arising under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Title VII, Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), and state employment laws. Lisa also represents employers as defense counsel approved by Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) and Directors and Officers Liability Insurance (D&O) carriers.
Lisa has represented clients in litigation across the United States and has handled matters involving allegations of race, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, military, religious and/or political discrimination or harassment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract, wrongful termination in violation of public policy, and alleged violations of ERISA.
In addition to her litigation practice, Lisa serves as a strategy partner, helping clients achieve their goals, minimize risk and maximize results. She routinely trains and advises companies regarding day-to-day employment issues, including leave and accommodation, wage and hour, and performance management, and prepares employment agreements, separation agreements, independent contractor agreements, releases, and employee handbooks, policies and procedures.
Formerly, Lisa was senior legal counsel to the Ohio Department of Health where she managed litigation and served as primary advising counsel to the agency regarding both labor and employment and health regulatory matters. She also served as adjunct faculty, teaching alternative dispute resolution and business law, at Columbus State Community College.
Professional & Community Activities
- President, Ohio Women’s Bar Association, 2016-2018
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2017
- Past Board Member, Ruling Our Experiences (ROX)
- Past Board Member, John Mercer Langston Bar Association
- Past Board Member, City Year Columbus
- Past Board Member, Red Cross of Greater Columbus
- Former Committee Chair, Women's Fund of Central Ohio
- Former Editor, Columbus Bar Association, Better Lawyers
- Trustee, Ohio Women’s Bar Association, 2012-2015
- Fellow, African American Leadership Academy, 2010
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "#MeToo: Preventing Harassment and Investigating Harassment Complaints," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2006
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2006
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Employment Law - Management), 2020
- JMLBA Barrister’s Salute, 2018
- WELD Women WELDing the Way, 2016
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2014, 2015
- President’s Choice Award, Ohio Women’s Bar Association, 2014
- Rising Star, National Urban League, 2007
- University of Cincinnati (J.D.), 2006; Member, Immigration and Nationality Law Review; Dean's List
- University of Chicago (M.A. in International Relations), 2003
- University of Cincinnati (B.A. cum laude in Political Science), 2001; Commencement Speaker; Spirit of Community Award; C-Ring Award; Honors Scholar
Kathumbi offers emergency preparedness advice in Columbus Business First
In the wake of global uncertainty — and the chilling reality that disasters can strike close to home — local businesses are reevaluating their emergency response systems. From bomb scares to knife assaults to threats of terrorism, employers face many challenges to preparing and protecting their employees.More Dec 2, 2016