M. Shannon Martin
Shannon Martin focuses on the general counsel, finance and real estate development, and property management needs of health care and public sector clients, banks and other lending institutions, developers, and non-profit and for-profit corporations. She advises clients on a full range of general governance, compliance and operational matters, and has diverse transaction experience including serving as borrower’s counsel, bond counsel and bank counsel on financing transactions, and as counsel to buyers, sellers, developers, utility companies and public entities on acquisition and development projects.
Shannon’s health care practice includes representing hospitals and other health care organizations including nursing, assisted living and long-term care facilities, with respect to general counsel matters such as corporate compliance and governance for non-profits and public sector requirements for public hospitals. She also advises health care clients with financing and real estate matters including bond and other financing facilities, medical practice acquisitions and physician leasing, equipment leases and the purchase, sale and development of health care facilities.
Shannon also serves as general counsel and special counsel to port authorities, counties, municipal corporations and other political subdivisions in connection with a variety of operational and legislative matters, Public Records Act and Open Meeting Act compliance, land-use issues, public improvement projects, public-private partnerships, procurement processes and disputes, conflicts of interest, charter review and amendment processes, annexations and appropriations. Shannon also advises clients on Ohio’s economic development laws, programs and resources, including use of tax increment financing, creation and operation of special improvement districts, joint economic development zones, community reinvestment areas, state and federal loan and grant programs and the like.
Shannon’s real estate experience also includes work with procurement and sale of real estate, zoning, leasing, condominium creation and operation, ground leases, management contracts and the like for a wide range of developments, including office and medical office, ancillary health care facilities, industrial and commercial space, student housing, long-term care facilities and multi-use projects.
Financing and conversion of public hospital to nonprofit business
Assisted Adams County Regional Medical Center in its conversion from a county-owned hospital to a private health care provider. The transaction required obtaining bond financing for the acquisition and conversion of the hospital facilities, real property and assets, and resulted in the continuation of local care for Adams County residents.
Conversion of public hospital and affiliation with large health care system
Advised a government-owned hospital and worked with elected officials to convert a public hospital into a nonprofit business and large health care system affiliate. The transaction involved unique and negotiated features necessary to satisfy elected officials’ priorities, the community’s needs for local health care access, and the opportunities and efficiencies available through affiliation with a sophisticated tertiary care system.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Board of CityWide Development Corp, 2018-present
- President, Executive Committee, Greene County Community Foundation, 2004-2017
- President, Bellbrook/Sugarcreek Education Foundation, 2005-2016
- President, Executive Committee, Recovery Centers, Inc. (dba Women's Recovery Center), 2006-2013
- Member, Board of Directors, Artemis Center for Alternatives to Domestic Violence, 1997-2003; President, 2000-2002
- Member, Dayton Chapter, NAIOP
- Member, Ohio Hospital Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL)
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Continuing Disclosure and Municipal Securities," Ohio Treasurer's Cincinnati CPIM Academy, September 2017
- Speaker, "ESC Facilities Workshop," Ohio Educational Service Center Association (OESCA), June 2017
- Speaker, "Public Projects and State Incentive Toolbox," I-70/75 Development Association Economic Development Summit, May 2017
- Speaker, "IRS Revenue Proclamation 97-13 and Management Contract Compensation Models," Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio, January 2014
- Speaker, "Construction Project Management, A Survey of Critical Laws You Need to Know," Cincinnati, Ohio, November 2008
- Speaker, "Ohio's New Eminent Domain Laws," Joint Annual Meeting of the American Association of Civil Engineers, Dayton Chapter; the Society of Military Engineers, WPAFB, March 2008
- Speaker, "Public Utilities and Ohio's New Eminent Domain Laws," the International Right of Way Association, Regional Chapter, January 2008
- Speaker, "Common Interest Communities: Condominiums, PUDs and Subdivisions," University of Dayton Law School, May 2007; Cincinnati, Ohio, Fall 2006
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Ohio Bar Association; Dayton Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Real Estate Law), 2020
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Real Estate Law), 2018–2020
- Listed, Who's Who in Real Estate, Dayton Business Journal, 2018
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Real Estate; Health Care; State, Local & Municipal), 2005–2007
- Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Cleveland Marshall College of Law (J.D.), 1993
- John Carroll University (B.A.), 1990
Bricker Listed Among Top Bond Counsel As Ohio Leads Midwest in Bond Volume
Bricker & Eckler was listed among the top Midwestern bond counsel firms that helped bond issuers sell $71.5 billion of municipal bonds in 2019, a 19% year-over-year increase, according to a February 25, 2020, article by the Bond Buyer.More Feb 27, 2020