A northeast Ohio native, Matt is a die-hard Browns and Indians fan. One of Matt’s goals is to take his three daughters to all of the Major League Baseball ballparks by the time the youngest heads to college, they've been to 15 so far.
Matthew D. Gurbach is a diversified trial attorney that represents individuals and corporations in complex business litigation and product liability disputes across a variety of industries. He has extensive experience litigating high-stakes matters for both plaintiffs and defendants involving alleged trade secret misappropriation, business torts, covenants not to compete, as well as claims related to breaches of contract, transportation and logistics, and product liability. His product liability cases have involved a wide variety of products including, industrial machinery, recreational products, consumer products, and toxic torts.
Domestic and international clients rely upon Matthew’s pragmatism and innovative solutions to resolve business-related disputes in federal and state courtrooms throughout the United States. As an accomplished first-chair trial lawyer, he has been first chair trial counsel in over 25 jury trials and binding arbitrations, served as lead counsel in scores of mediations, appeared regularly in courts of appeal and guided countless disputes to a negotiated resolution.
Matthew is a member of the steering committee of the Defense Research Institute (DRI)’s Product Liability Committee, which includes 18 Specialized Litigation Groups and 3,200 members. He regularly lectures on trade secret protection, alternative dispute resolution, evidence, e-discovery, and trial tactics.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Board of Trustees, 2017–present
- Member, Federal Bar Association Board of Directors, Northern District of Ohio Chapter, 2015–2018
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "ADR and Settlement," Ohio State Bar Association, Litigation Basics, June 2019
- Moderator, "Greet the Judges CLE: Pitfalls and Pointers from the Bench," Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Half-Day CLE, May 2019
- Speaker, "Conversation on Conditions at Cuyahoga County Jail," Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association - Hot Talks, December 2018
- Speaker, "The Best Things in Life are Free: Low Cost or Free Web-Based Resources," DRI, The Voice of the Defense Bar's Product Liability Conference, February 2018
- Speaker, "Demonstrative Exhibits and Documentary Evidence," The Ohio State Bar Association, Trial Evidence for the Ohio Practitioner Seminar, December 2017
- Speaker, "Protecting Your Trade Secrets: Beyond the Basics," Cleveland Society of Human Resource Management Legal Affairs Conference, December 2017
- Speaker, "ADR and Settlement," The Ohio State Bar Association, Litigation Skills Seminar, September 2017
- Speaker, "Win Your Case in Voir Dire," The Ohio State Bar Association, All Ohio Legal Forum, August 2017
- Speaker, "Introduction to Alternative Dispute Resolution," The Ohio State Bar Association, Litigation Skills Seminar, September 2016
- Speaker, "Introducing Your Case: Strategies for an Impactful and Effective Opening Statement," The Ohio State Bar Association, All Ohio Legal Forum, April 2016
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, Supreme Court of Ohio, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Member, American Bar Association, Ohio State Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2018–2020
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2013–2017
- Graduated, Leadership Mahoning Valley
- Inducted, The Order of Barristers, 2003
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, (J.D.), Concentration in Litigation, 2003
- Youngstown State University, (A.B., magna cum laude), 2000
While on vacation in Washington, D.C. Matt and his then nine-year-old daughter received an invitation from David S. Ferriero, the 10th Archivist of the United States, to attend the National Archives sleepover – a rare educational event that is offered to a small number of children and their chaperones in the U.S. Read more about their adventure here.
Whether he is vacationing in Nova Scotia or jamming out to songs from The Tragically Hip, Matt’s connection to Canada doesn’t stop there. Read more about his Canadian adventures here.