Matthew R. Koppitch
Matt Koppitch uses extensive experience, spanning all levels and branches of government, to deliver results for clients who cover multiple industries and sectors. Touching on policy areas from economic development, energy, health care, taxation and more. Matt counsels and advises clients, candidates and ballot campaigns on outreach, policy development, communications and political strategy, as well as compliance and ethics guidance.
Matt combines policy with the political, helping serve the client’s needs, including negotiating legislation and administrative rules, legislative and regulatory drafting, and providing legislative analysis and tracking. He also has wide-ranging campaign experience, including gubernatorial and congressional campaigns and both local and statewide ballot issues. Notably, he served a vital role in expanding Medicaid in Ohio through the Healthy Ohioans Work ballot initiative.
Matt’s political acumen also serves clients in other areas of law. As a consensus builder, he has represented businesses, developers and political subdivisions in zoning, land use, annexation and other land development issues. He also uses his extensive network of relationships to assists clients in resolving complex situations.
Matt previously served as District Director for United States Congresswoman Joyce Beatty, advising on matters of policy, including financial services, banking, insurance, labor and employment, health care and more. Additionally, Matt’s past experience includes the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) 1199; the Ohio Department of Commerce; the Ohio Lottery Commission; and the Ohio Governor’s Office.
Actively represent more than 30 clients before the Ohio General Assembly, state agencies and local government entities. Longtime clients include the Association of Ohio Life Insurance Companies, the Ohio Manufacturers’ Association, the Ohio Association of Physician Assistants and Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council.
Energy generation facility counsel
Represent Apex Power Group before the Ohio Power Siting Board (OPSB) for the proposed Guernsey Power Station, a 1650-megawatt, natural gas-fired energy generation facility. In 2017, the project received approval to construct and operate the facility. Our team continues to provide substantial regulatory, legislative, tax, permitting and real estate counsel. In addition, we resolved issues involving interconnection with the local transmission company and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
Zoning and land use counsel
Represented multiple businesses in rezonings of property to enable the growth of new business activities and development.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association, Moyer Legacy Committee
- Chair, Board of Zoning Appeals for the City of Westerville, 2016–2020
- Member, Board of Zoning Appeals for the City of Westerville, 2013–2020
- Vice Chair, Board of Zoning Appeals for the City of Westerville, 2015–2016
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, “Moving Ohio Forward: Economic Development Tools in the Biennial Budget (HB 166),” Ohio Economic Development Association (OEDA) 2019 Annual Summit, October 2019
- Panelist, “Economic Development Legislation to Watch,” Rising Rust Belt: A Regional Revitalization Economic Summit, October 2019
- Panelist, "Is your economic development toolkit current and competitive?," The Columbus Region Economic Development 411, December 1, 2017
- Speaker, "Energy Legislative Update," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Energy Exchange: A Statehouse Update, October 19, 2017
- Speaker, "Municipal Campaign Finance Update" and "State Operating Budget," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs CLE Seminar, July 11, 2017
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2009
- Admitted, Southern District of Ohio, 2017
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America (Corporate Governance and Compliance Law), 2021–2023
- Capital University Law School (J.D.), 2009; Jessup International Law Moot Court Team; Treasurer, Moot Court Executive Board; Team Fellow, National Moot Court Team; Order of the Curia
- Wittenberg University (B.A. in Theater), 2004s
Round two: community solar legislation introduced again in the Ohio General Assembly with notable differencesMore
Bricker Graydon Attorneys Recognized for 2024 “Best Lawyers” Excellence
A total of 68 attorneys were chosen by their peers for recognition in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. This year’s ranking includes six newly-listed Bricker Graydon attorneys and 10 attorneys designated as “Ones to Watch,” a category for up-and-coming lawyers. And five attorneys have been named 2024 “Lawyers of the Year” for their respective practice areas. Only one attorney in each category is recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” in each market.More Aug 17, 2023