Matt played collegiately at Malone University and continues to stay active in the game. He believes golf teaches some of life’s most important lessons, like honesty, integrity and character, and has developed some of his closest friendships through long hours on the course.
Matt Strayer is a real estate attorney with a wide range of transactional and litigation experience. Matt represents real estate owners and developers in the acquisition, construction, renovation and disposition of their assets. He also represents construction and permanent mortgage lenders in the negotiation and documentation of new and restructured commercial loans. He has significant experience representing owners of commercial, industrial, agricultural and residential property in both routine and complex matters involving eminent domain, easements, restrictive covenants, zoning, utility construction, oil and gas leasing, environmental issues and more.
Prior to joining Bricker & Eckler, Matt practiced at a leading Ohio real estate boutique law firm, representing owners in eminent domain acquisitions. He has managed and closed deals involving hundreds of clients and is experienced in negotiating real property conveyances, advising clients in matters involving title, survey, environmental and other issues involved in due diligence, and handling post-closing and construction issues. Having been lead counsel or second chair in several jury trials and arbitrations, Matt brings a unique perspective to the table in his deals. He has demonstrated his ability to effectively advocate for his clients by obtaining jury verdicts and arbitration awards that greatly exceeded the final offers received by his clients.
A former journalist, Matt has also won several awards for outstanding news reporting.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Brookside Golf & Country Club
- Life Group Leader, Vista Community Church
Presentations & Published Works
- Co-Author, Fifty State Survey of the Law of Eminent Domain: Ohio, American Bar Association (forthcoming)
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2014
- Admitted, Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2018
- Admitted, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 2015
- Admitted, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2014
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude), 2014; The Order of the Coif; Note Editor, Ohio State Law Journal, 2013–2014
- Malone University (B.A. in Communication Arts, summa cum laude), 2008
Matt and his wife Kaitlin met on the ski slopes. They continue to enjoy snowboard riding and skiing both as an extreme winter sport on the black diamonds and as a leisurely family activity with their daughters.