Matt played collegiately at Malone University and continues to stay active in the game. He believes golf teaches some of life’s most important lessons, like honesty, integrity and character, and has developed some of his closest friendships through long hours on the course. In 2017, Matt checked one off his bucket list by playing Pebble Beach with his parents and brother.
Matt is a real estate attorney who works hard to protect his clients while also understanding the value in closing on time and on budget. He represents buyers, sellers, owners, developers, and lending institutions in and beyond Ohio on real estate projects involving retail, hospitality, industrial warehouse, and other uses and industries. He also has experience representing landlords in relation to commercial leasing and other end uses. Additionally, Matt represents construction and permanent mortgage lenders in the negotiation and documentation of new and restructured commercial loans.
Matt also has significant experience representing owners of commercial, industrial, agricultural and residential property in both routine and complex matters involving eminent domain, easements, restrictive covenants, zoning issues, and utility construction. He has been lead counsel or second chair in several jury trials and arbitrations, which gives him a unique perspective in negotiating and documenting real estate transactions.
A former journalist, Matt has also won several awards for outstanding news reporting.
$75 Million Revolving Line of Credit
Represents a Fortune 500 lender in adding eligible multifamily, commercial and industrial real estate assets to the collateral pool of a $75 million revolving line of credit loan for the lender’s active real estate investor and developer customer.
$94 Million Portfolio Acquisition
Represented an industrial real estate investor in its acquisition of a $94 million portfolio of warehouse assets in northeast Ohio, which was the largest deal in the company’s history. Coordinated due diligence with respect to the acquisition of eight properties, two of which involved ground leases, and closed within approximately 60 days.
Counsel to Retailer Owner/Developer
Regularly represents and advises active real estate owner and developer in the Columbus retail market in matters relating to commercial leasing, acquisitions and dispositions.
$15 million subscription line of credit
Assisted a client as lender’s counsel for a $15 million subscription line of credit for a private equity fund used to leverage the capital contributions of the fund's limited partners.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Brookside Golf & Country Club
- Life Group Leader, Vista Community Church
Presentations & Published Works
- Co-Author, Fifty State Survey of the Law of Eminent Domain: Ohio, American Bar Association (forthcoming)
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2014
- Admitted, Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2018
- Admitted, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 2015
- Admitted, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2014
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Litigation - Construction), 2021
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude), 2014; The Order of the Coif; Note Editor, Ohio State Law Journal, 2013–2014
- Malone University (B.A. in Communication Arts, summa cum laude), 2008
Matt and his wife Kaitlin met on the ski slopes. They continue to enjoy snowboard riding and skiing both as an extreme winter sport on the black diamonds and as a leisurely family activity with their daughters. Here, Matt and his family are pictured at Holiday Valley in western New York.