Melissa is currently indoctrinating her two young children to eventually attend the University of Notre Dame by carving the same pumpkin every Halloween and taking them on an annual pilgrimage to South Bend every fall.
Melissa Martinez Bondy
Melissa Bondy concentrates her practice in the areas of education law in both Pre-K to 12 and higher education settings. Her practice has an emphasis on the complex and highly regulated disability law/special education environment; Title IX compliance; education policy; student discipline; and public and student record concerns. She represents public school districts, private colleges and universities, and other public entities.
Melissa prides herself on her unique approach to solving clients' issues and counseling clients to resolve special education disputes arising under the IDEIA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which includes attendance at IEP meetings, resolution sessions and mediations. She is a frequent speaker on issues related to disability and staff compliance for both school districts and institutions of higher education. Melissa regularly represents educational entities before the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, defending Section 504, Title IX, ADA, and Title IV claims of discrimination, and she frequently advises employers about a variety of employment issues, including employee discipline or termination.
Melissa has a great deal of experience in advising educational entities on Title IX compliance, including conducting investigations and reviewing policy and procedures. She has also provided significant Title IX training for coordinators and served on a team that developed templates and model forms for Title IX compliance.
Melissa is a former Staff Attorney to Judge William M. Young of the Twelfth District Ohio Court of Appeals. Melissa is also a former board member of ROX (Ruling Our eXperiences), a non-profit that provides educational programming for girls to equip them with the knowledge, confidence, and skills to live healthy, independent, and violence-free lives.
Third Party Title IX Investigations for Colleges, Universities and Public School Districts
Successfully executed investigations under the new 2020 Title IX Regulations for institutions across the United States
University defense in Section 504 discrimination claim
Successfully resolved claims of failure to accommodate a student in university programming.
School district defense in race discrimination claim
Represented a public school district accused of disparate student discipline on the basis of race and resolved the matter with no finding against the client.
School district defense in Title IX claim
Successfully represented a public school district accused of maintaining unequal sports facilities for male and female athletes.
Professional & Community Activities
- Commissioner, Grandview Heights Civil Service Commission, 2018-2020
- Member, The Ohio State University Early Head Start Partnership Board, 2015 to present
- Former Board Member, Ruling Our eXperiences (ROX) Board of Directors, 2013 to 2021; Secretary, 2014 to 2016
- Former Participant, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio Project Mentor Program
- Former President, Board of Directors, Amethyst, Inc.
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Title IX Level 1 General Training," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Title IX Training, July 2020 to present
- Speaker, "Level 2 Title IX Training for Coordinators, Investigators and Informal Resolution Facilitators," Bricker & Eckler LLP's K-12 Title IX Trainings, June 2020 to present
- Speaker, "ADA/504 Issues: The Intersection with Title IX," October 2019
- Speaker, "Medical Marijuana and CBD Considerations" BASA Special Education Workshop, September 2019
- Case Study of LRE, Inclusion & Private School Placement: L.H. v. Hamilton Co. DOE - BASA Special Education Issues for School Leaders, September 2018
- Speaker, "Emotional Support Animals on Campus," Webinar, June 2017
- Speaker, “Minors on College Campuses: Managing Risk and Liability,” Ohio Association of College and University Business Officers 100th Annual Meeting and Professional Development Conference, April 2017
- Transgender and Gender Non Conforming Accommodation Issues, October 2016 to present
- Speaker, “Avoiding a Strike Out: Extracurricular Activities, Athletics, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973,” Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio's Affiliate Conference, June 2015
- Speaker, Emerging Special Education Leaders Academy, State Support Team Region 11, 2013-14 to present
- Speaker, Emerging Leaders Academy, State Support Team Region 10, 2013-14 and 2014-15
- Author, "OCR Updates: Service Animals and Recent Title II Guidance," SST10 Legal Issues Update, January 2015
- Speaker, "PR-01 Update: Becoming a Prior Written Notice Maven," BASA Special Education Issues for School Leaders
- Speaker, "Bullying, Harassment, and Intimidation of Students: A Civil Rights Issue?" Buckeye Association of School Administrators, September 2011 to present
- Author, "Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Top Ten 504 FAQs"
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Hispanic National Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, National School Boards Association, Council of School Attorneys
- Member, Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys
Awards & Recognition
- Honoree, Who’s Who in Latino Columbus, 2016
- University of Notre Dame (J.D., 1996)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1993)
What happens at the Cocoa Hut, stays at the Cocoa Hut: U.S. Supreme Court determines school district’s discipline of cheerleader violates First AmendmentMore
Bricker’s Mahanoy article referenced in Slate post on Supreme Court conservatives
A Slate magazine article rounding up the 2020 term of the U.S. Supreme Court referenced Bricker’s piece on Mahanoy Area School District v. B. L. by partner Melissa Martinez Bondy and staff attorney Aaron D. RotheyMore Jul 5, 2021